cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend an ADSL Router?

N/A

For setting up a broadband connection and network for a small office (4 PCs and two printers) can anyone recommend a good router and switch? I'm currently looking at Netgear DG834 router and Netgear FS105 switch but would be willing to pay a little more for anything better. My main considerations are:
Decent speed and good reliability;
Good firewall thats easy to configure (UI not scripts);
Reasonably sturdy boxes;
On/off power or reset button preferably;
(P2P ability not required);

Any suggestions appreciated, cheers.
10 REPLIES
N/A

The DG834 would be good for the requirement you have and can be fully configured and reset from within a web browser based interface.
N/A

The DG834 gets mostly a good customer review but I've got a little reservation about the performance possibly degrading badly when 3 or 4 people are connected to the internet at the same time. Also, because the people in the office are completely non-technical I'd prefer a button to manually reset it if it did stop (I won't be there).

I've seen a DrayTek Vigor 2500 that costs a little more and has a reset button. I can't find any reviews of it, anyone here got any experience or knowledge of it?
N/A

I respect your views but it's designed to handle 200+ users connected at one time. It does suffer slow down when using P2P, but I've not heard of it suffering when more than a few people are connected.

As for reseting, I doubt the router would actually stop, I've never had to reset my router except by choice when I've updated the firewall rules or firmware.

I think the DG834 is a great router for the market it's aimed at, home and small business.
N/A

Hello, I'm looking for a new router just now. It's between the Netgear DG834 or the USR9105. Both have excellent reviews and customer feedback, it's just up to me to pick one.
N/A

I received the following PM, I won't say who from because they appear to not want go public Shocked :-

"I don't like to post about routers anymore as there are alot of people that think that a dg834 is the best thing sliced bread. In my experience a fr114p preforms much better that the dg834 specially with several users....."
N/A

That's as maybe, but you wanted an ADSL Router, which the FR114P isn't. It's useful to have a built-in Print Server though.
N/A

I have an USR ADSL router. (9003)

Mostly it's very good but the DNS relay occasionally stops and if you use that you need to get onto the router, stop and start the dns router. This can be done via the web interface but I reckon it's easier via CLI.

The latter could be fairly easily automatted.

telnet <routerip>
[root login]
dns
dnsr stop
dnsr start
exit
exit
N/A

...... you wanted an ADSL Router, which the FR114P isn't.... .

Cheers, good spot, its a broadband router which is for cable access rather than phone line.
octafish
Grafter

I've just started up a network with the KCorp KLG-575 108Mbps wireless (+ 4 LAN ethernet ports) router which includes a firewall built in. At its simplest this needs no user input at all, although rules can be set. Wireless can be switched off. Very, very configurable. I use it with a D-Link 300T modem although I think KCorp will be introducing a combined modem / router fairly shortly. All for about £80 inc VAT (scan.co.uk).

It has a great range and is good at penetrating walls (well, mine anyway). Has WEP, WPA etc and allows for MAC, ip address, url etc filtering.

Steve
N/A

As for reseting, I doubt the router would actually stop, I've never had to reset my router except by choice when I've updated the firewall rules or firmware.

Is your other router a netgear? I'm on my 3rd Warrantee replacement, due to be delivered today. The first 2 required constant resetting and the 3rd the modem connected to the internet OK but the router part didn't work.

If you do have any problems good luck with the technical support the US people are helpeful, the UK people are evasive and some in the India call centre try but don't know what they are doing and some of them are just plain rude.