cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a router

N/A

Recommend a router

Hi, could someone recommend a router... I'm looking at one for £40 at dabs, it will be connected to to my switch. I dont want to be spending much more than £50 unless it is worth it.

cheers.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Recommend a router

get a cisco one (873 - home user one) very nice,, good price and has a 4 port hub in the back of it... its incrdably safe with a huge amount of security options and easy to set up and configure...

Buz
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Recommend a router

unless its the new revised AR41 with the better firewall dont bother, its just the same as mine with a poor firewall and DMZ. So you get what you pay for, so think of it this way, the router is your Security so why buy a cardboard door that a kid can kick in, spend a little more and get a drawbridge and moat.

But the Old AR41's or the Origo from Ebuyer dont touch them, save more and spend around the £70-90 mark for a good one port router and then get a switch
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Recommend a router

adp450 ok your right. Think ill buy a zoom x4, that looks like a good choice. I already have a 100mbit switch btw.
N/A

Recommend a router

You can get the Zoom x4 from here for £89.90 including VAT and P&P.
Community Veteran

Recommend a router

That zoom looks to be the same router just in a different case. Find out if its worth the extra, i.e. if it comes with the SPI firewall or not. I had a quick look at the Zoom site and its manual but couldn't find the info. So could be £30-40 more for nothing extra.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Recommend a router

That zoom looks to be the same router just in a different case. Find out if its worth the extra, i.e. if it comes with the SPI firewall or not. I had a quick look at the Zoom site and its manual but couldn't find the info. So could be £30-40 more for nothing extra.

Could you recommend me a router adp450... Firewall isnt a priority but i would like to be able to test the line etc.

cheers.
Community Veteran

Recommend a router

personally I'm looking at the Sar's from Solwise [google it, don't want done for advert links Wink ] or if I can source a DSL Router/Modem version one of the Linksys, both retail £100+
N/A

Recommend a router

£100 is a bit above my budget! Sad
Community Veteran

Recommend a router

hmm just checked the SAR 130 and its down in price £50 ex postage. ok its a single port but is a lot more secure than this rubbish I currently have. They also have it twined with a 8 port switch for £75 ex p&p

btw the one I have my eyes on is the SAR 715PV
N/A

Recommend a router

Sounds good :-) ... What site are you buying it from?
Community Veteran

Recommend a router

From here
N/A

Recommend a router

If you want any info on the 715PV, let me know - We currently have it sitting on the side-lines, awaiting line activation.

It's features have allowed us to use a second DSL modem until activation, upon which time, it should automaticly switch over to the new line.
Neondaze
Grafter

Recommend a router

If your interested PCPlus recommended the SMC Barricade SMC7404BRA. This modem/router also includes a print server. Information can be found HERE.
I have just ordered one today for £86 from HERE.