cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebooting System

Community Veteran

Rebooting System

I've got a machine i've had for about 2 years. It worked fine for a few months and I was running win2k3 server on it. I stopped using it for about 8 months just due to time etc and I only needed it to learn 2k3 and domain controllers etc.

I started using it again and found it was rebooting by itself every now and then. I checked the event log, nothing showed at all. I reinstalled the machine with XP, mainly because thats what it needed to run at the time. It still happened. I stuck it in a cupboard for 2 months until I got round to looking at it.

I've rebuilt the system, swapped the harddisks, different case and psu. The only things that are the same are the board, CPU, ram, fan and video card. It's unlikely to be the motherboard shorting out on the case since I've swapped it and the other 2 suspects I had are the disks (altohugh I felt it unlikely) and the PSU which obviously its not.

Surfice to say I started the XP installation process from scratch and it rebooted twice. However it's currently running in BIOS and its been sitting thier fine.

Maybe its an overheating problem?
In bios it currently reports 88 - 92 degrees. CPU votlage 1.6 ram voltafe 2.54v and fan speed around 4500 rpm

The board is a PC Chips one and the processor is an AMD Athlon XP 3.2ghz Socket A if memory serves.

Any thoughts on where to look next?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Rebooting System

If the BIOS is reporting 88C then that is WAY to high and the most likely problem. It should be less than 50C when idle, and ideally around 40C when monitoring from BIOS. WHen running apps it will just get hotter.

You need to check the heaksink/fan is fitted correctly and that you are using thermal paste (but not too much, just a very thin layer) between it and the CPU. Also check the heatsink is actually fitted correctly and the right way round.
Community Veteran

Rebooting System

Ok cheers Pete.

Chris
N/A

Rebooting System

Pete is correct it will be overheating. Replace the heatsink/fan and install a case fan if ness. You can download some 3rd party software to monitor system temperatures within windows.
http://www.download.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10432092.html?tag=pdp_prod