cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re. IdeDetection failure

N/A

Re. IdeDetection failure

having narrowed it all down basically failure to detect any HD? detecting cd and dvd drives ok, checked ribbon cable ok , does this mean i hav too replace the HD or MB?? everything was ok yesterday, thendaughter used pc arghhhhhhhhhh. help me please. thx antony
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re. IdeDetection failure

Give us some more info!

Have you reseated ribbon cable, check molex power lead. Is there any noise coming from the hd?

Is the hd showing up in the bios? (press f2 or delete on when booting)

If you have another pc, take the hd out and try it in that one to eliminate the motherboard being the culprit.
N/A

hd detection

yep HD work ok tested on other pc, ribbon seated correctly too.would you think it might be MB ide socket dodgy?? and why all of a sudden?Huh
N/A

Re. IdeDetection failure

Strange things happen all the time, my boys pc was fine for months then one day windows wouldnt load :?

You could have some conflict with other devices in the pc, i would try disconect everything (apart from the obvious) and just run the hd a see if it works.

Remember to check in bios?
N/A

Re. IdeDetection failure

If its the HD controller on the MB you can buy a plug in card cheap to get round it if everything else works ok.

If the other controller works ie the one with the cd on you can use that for the drives and remove the cd. Have you tried the hd on its own and not with any other drive or cd?
N/A

HD detection

ok BOUGHT NEW ide cable HD setup but no luck loading windows at all. i hav refromatted a HD on another pc i want to install winME from scratch but now the bloody pc throws a message invalid system disk!!! all i want now is to reinstall either win ME or winXp for which i hav the disk and cant why ?? please anyone arghhhhhhhhhhh. !!!!!!! T I A antony
N/A

Re. IdeDetection failure

The mesage in a way is a good one as now it sees the disk. The error means it can find the system files. You may be able to get it going by booting from the floppy/cd and typeing sys c:
Try dir c:
can you see the drive ok if you use fdisk can it see the drive?

Did you mean you just formated the drive or did you format it and put the system on it or install ME?

I tend to suggest either the bios isnt getting the settings right or you have them wrong. How old is the pc and how big is the disk? It sound like you formated it in one mode and trying to read it in another.

Check the drive setting on the pc you formated it on and try and match them.

These are the setting in the bios like LBA mode/DMA mode etc