cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radeon X850 XT Black Screen on Startup

N/A

Hey,

After recently building myself a new computer, and having everything running ok, I noticed that once onto the desktop during the startup process, the screen would flash black for about 1 second and then come back on.

After the startup has fully completed, i'm getting no other problems.........does anyone have any idea what this might be in relation to?

Specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2

Athlon 64bit 4000+ 2.4Ghz Processor
1Gb DDR400 184pin Ram
300GB ish Maxtor SATAII Hard Disk
Radeon X850 XT 256mb Pci-E
Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

Thanks Smiley
7 REPLIES
N/A

hmm could be a driver conflict.

Have you downloaded the latest catalyst drivers?

That might resolve the issue - it might not.
Njal
Grafter

Is this happening during the POST phase, or as Windows starts?

Have you got the POST screen turned on in the BIOS, some boards I think allow you to turn this off. It could be a momentary flicker as the board thinks about displaying something and then decides it doesn't have to!

If it's a driver prob it could only be occuring after Windows has started loading drivers.

Either way if your PC is OK after Windows has started I think I'd adopt the old maxim "If it isn't broken don't fix it."

Regards
Neil
N/A

Re: Radeon X850 XT Black Screen on Startup

After recently building myself a new computer, and having everything running ok, I noticed that once onto the desktop during the startup process, the screen would flash black for about 1 second and then come back on.

My guess is that you're seeing the Catalyst Control Centre loading in the background. My own PC with an X800GTO card does the very same - when the desktop refreshes the CCC icon has (usually) appeared in the System Tray. I think it's merely an example of what a resource hog the CCC actually is - I keep meaning to get rid of it.

Alan
N/A

Is this happening during the POST phase, or as Windows starts?

It's happening once the desktop has loaded, and taskbar icons are loading....that sort of thing. Which makes me think it might be what ajbremner suggested. I've got the latest catalyst drivers, and as far as i know, i'm full up to date with all other drivers on my system.

If i did remove the Catalyst Control Center, would i lose any noticable functionality from my card, or is it just there for "Extra Control" purposes?

Although it isn't really a problem, i'd still like to get rid of the black screen if possible, and if removing CCC is the way to go...i'd be happy to do that.

Cheers guys!
N/A

If i did remove the Catalyst Control Center, would i lose any noticable functionality from my card, or is it just there for "Extra Control" purposes?

The card will function fine using only the drivers included with the Catalyst package but I don't know if there's a way to fine-tune the 3D settings and other parameters without using the CC, for example.

Alan
N/A

Hmmm.......I'm not sure whether i've actually adjusted any settings so far anyway. I think i'll uninstall it, and I can always install the control center again if I need it I guess!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Martyn
N/A

I think i'll uninstall it, and I can always install the control center again if I need it I guess!

Before you uninstall the ATI software, check for the installation directory (on my system at C:\ATI\SUPPORT\6-5_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_32464). Save the \Driver subfolder hierarchy in case the uninstall vapes it, and if/when you need to update the drivers after bining CCC the required .INF files are in the \Driver\2KXP_INF folder.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Alan