cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROUTER QUESTIONS

N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

I am thinking of installing a Netgear modem/router to give wireless access to a laptop. This may mean I will require access from both the laptop and the desktop at the same time. Questions are:

Firstly is this possible with the service I am using (£14.99 per month Broadband)?
What is the best modem/router (I also need to use VPN)?
Would I be breaking any Plusnet T&C's?
Will the idle/disconnect just introduced cause me a problem?

Many thanks,

Ron
20 REPLIES
N/A

Re: ROUTER QUESTIONS

I am thinking of installing a Netgear modem/router to give wireless access to a laptop. This may mean I will require access from both the laptop and the desktop at the same time. Questions are:

Firstly is this possible with the service I am using (£14.99 per month Broadband)?

Many thanks,

Ron

Hi there,

Yes you should be very able to use a router with your connection.
Please, could you tell me how you run your VPN? Only I have a vpn in place but I have chosen to have a gateway to gateway tunnel so in short the two routers in question are connected 24/7 as a VPN.
If you have a server and are allowing windows to deal with the VPN then a simple VPN passthrough is all that is required (which most routers these days cater for)

Regards,
N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

Thanks for the feedback.

I connect to work using VPN Client.

Could anyone answer my other questions:

Cheers
Community Veteran

ROUTER QUESTIONS

the netgear DG834G is very good for everything you need and is also a very popular model, the latest firmware includes excellent support for vpn which is available from the netgear website
N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

At this moment in time I strongly advise against buying a Netgear until Plusnet solve the disconnection problems. You maybe lucky but you could be asking for trouble. Sad
N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

Thx Andy,

Believe it or not but thats the exact model I was thinking of purchasing!

How would this connect to my PC (not wireless)?

Sorry if some of the questions are a bit inane but I have no experience of wireless systems!!!!!
Community Veteran

ROUTER QUESTIONS

the router has lots of different encryption, i use WPA-PSK ( i think!), you simple name your network and give it a good long password. If your laptop has windows XP then you can use the wireless wizard that is built in and you simply search for the network, connect to it and thats all there is to it! theres a good step by step help guide as well.

have a look at http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834gv2.asp
N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

"At this moment in time I strongly advise against buying a Netgear until Plusnet solve the disconnection problems. You maybe lucky but you could be asking for trouble"

Can you explain this for me - so far I've been using a Voyager 105 USB modem and haven't had any major connection issues.
What disconnection problems have there been?

Thx
Community Veteran

ROUTER QUESTIONS

it is not just this modem thats getting disconnected, seems to be a number of them, the theory seems to be that it is a minor fault with how long the router waits for a response from the PN servers, before its thinks its been disconnected, the problems only really seem to have started since the work that was done by PN on friday night

if it does disconnect then the router will reconnect you automatically, and sometimes you won't even notice!
JonathanW
Grafter

ROUTER QUESTIONS

Hi,

Most wireless routers will also have a few, normally four, ethernet ports in the back so that you can connect a computer up via a wired connect.

There's nothing in our Ts & Cs that prevents you from using a router, indeed we do supply several as part of our hardware options.

The idle timeouts shouldn't cause much of a problem, as the majority of routers will reconnect when they detect that a user is trying to gain access to the internet.

As for the issues that some people have been experiencing with netgear routers is still being investigated to find out exactly what is causing it and to get it resolved.
N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

Thx for the response Jon & Andy

Can I have the laptop and PC connected and using the internet at the same time?
Will they have different IP addresses?
Community Veteran

ROUTER QUESTIONS

you can have 4 wired pcs connected and i think 256 wireless at any one time so that should be plenty!

they will all have different ip addresses, typcically the router has 192.198.0.1 and everything else can has 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.255.255

the ip addresses are given to each computer as they connect
N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

not sure where you'd stand in the T+C's with VPN'ing into work - I think plusnet prefer you to buy a business product if you are more than casually VPN'ing to the office (I could be wrong though).

I often use VPN for a few days on end to login to work using my DG834G router, PlusNet seem none the wiser but even so, something to be aware of..
avalon
Grafter

ROUTER QUESTIONS

As for the issues that some people have been experiencing with netgear routers is still being investigated to find out exactly what is causing it and to get it resolved.

I feel I should point out that contrary to the assertion above it's more than just Netgear models that have been suffering "issues". Others on here have reported the same things happening on models from different manufacturers.

It's just that netgear users seems to have made more comments about them happening. Whether this is due to the Netgear being more sensitive, or because its much more popular and so there are many more people noticing the problem I couldn't say.
N/A

ROUTER QUESTIONS

i use a bt voyager 2110 router which works fine, easy to se up. i use the lan connection for my pc and wireles for my laptop