cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Laptop Question

N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Hi All

Can anyone advise me as to the options;if any for powering a laptop from a vehicles electical system? I feel it must be able to be done but do not know what I am looking for,and the label on the mains PSU which says 75watts make me wonder if anything is available.

Thanks

Ian & Linda Jordan
10 REPLIES
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Why not contact the Laptop manufacturer?
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

I used a DC to AC invertor from the Cig lighter and then the laptops own charger/psu. Power conversion was of course very lossy but is worked.
This method overcomes any possibility of breaking warrantee by not using the OEM power supply.
Just be sure you get the right wattage DC/AC convertor for the laptop PSU.
You can get DC to AC convertors from Caravan/Camping places and some Auto parts places.
http://www.eurobatteries.com/sitepages/inverters.asp
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Thanks cqg4uzg

At least I know now what I am looking for :-),and the website seems to gve all that I need so your reply is really appreciated

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

The big laptop manufacturers sell adapters that plug directly into a car cigarette lighter socket. They're not cheap though.
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Just a note, the convertors on that site DO NOT have normal 13 amp plug outlets. They use a universal plug used on caravan interconnections.
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Thanks for the warning I have not as yet looked closly at the site just "bookmarked" it

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Maplin sell these converter with a 13 amp 3 pin UK socket.

I have one which i use with my laptop, phone, camera and other odds and ends they are great. The outputs varies significantly but the small one should cope with a laptop.
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Thanks chapple

I will have a look at Maplins later on.Just as matter of interest are they a big drain on the battery if the engine is'nt running,I do understand that it may depend on what you are running off it;but for clarification is there much battery drain on say running a Laptop?

Thanks again for ther pointer to Maplins

Ian & Linda
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Drain depends upon what you are running.
You can determine the amps per hour capacity of your car battery, it is normally stated somewhere on it.

To calculate, use the calculation volts x amp = watts (or any cross of that).
N/A

Quick Laptop Question

Hi

It's no big deal,I was merely just curious.As I have 2 batteries on my vehicle there is no problem there I was just remembering back to the days of those little immersion heaters you could get to heat up a cup of drink that used to play havoc with batteries if you had too many drinks to heat up....... (wonder if the still make those?)

Have just ordered myself an inverter so thanks for the help folks

Ian & Linda Jordan