cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about copying files

N/A

If I cut and paste a file to another drive does that file straight from one drive to the other or does it go via a clip-boarrd or swap file? I want to know for security reasons if the file exists anywhere else on my hard drive beside the original and copied files.
Anyone know please?
3 REPLIES
N/A

When you copy & paste a file, the file name and some other information is copied into the clipboard (the other info is markers to say it is file).

When windows receives the paste operation, it then bases the contents of the other information as to what operation paste will perform.

In the case of files, this means transfer the file from one location to another.

The actual file contents do not travel through the clipbaord, however, they may or may not use part of the swap space used in the caching process. Read a chunk, write the chunk.

It needs to go soemwhere between read & write, normaly this in the RAM, but as windows uses Swap-space during low memory conditions, some of this may end up in swap.

Also note, when you copy and paste, the original file reamins on the source disk. This is also true in a Cut and Deleteoperation. Only the information on where a file is stored is removed. It doesn't get overwritten until that part of the disk is actualy stored over.

It may also take several operations to renader it completely unrecoverable.

It very much depends on what you are trying to acheive to say what the best action to take is.
N/A

N/A

thanks for your reply