cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming examples including linking with Pascal

gosforth
Grafter

I posted a few issues about C programming a few weeks ago.

I have now put together quite a few C examples, including how to link GNU C with GNU Pascal.

Please see: www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/chris.hicks/programming.htm

I am not an expert, but all the examples work. I would be grateful for any constructive feedback.

Chris
3 REPLIES
N/A

I'm afraid I got side-tracked browsing from your link. I've been using Pascal for years but hadn't looked at GNU Pascal, so I wandered off on that ...

As a jumping-off point for starting programmers the site looks good to me. My only reservation would be if these were the only tools you were recommending to students. I would love to work exclusively with free software, but compared to the commercial offerings (Delphi in my case) GNU Pascal is at least 10 years out of date.

I well remember having to maintain an old p-system UCSD Pascal application (in theory I still do). The limitations it places on the level of complexity it's practical to manage make it commercially useless now. GNU Pascal has removed some of those limitations, but the language itself and the direction it appears to be taking looks set to consign it to curiousity status. Compared to the elegance of Delphi (and I assume Kylix - I've not used it yet) it's in the woolly mammoth era ...

So for students learning the craft, my first choice of tools would be whatever enables them to develop an appreciation of programming structure and logic and user-friendly interfaces. Linux and GNU, for all they do offer, present a whole raft of issues to be overcome that would probably mean "success" for a student would be to actually get a program to compile and run.

With current commercial software development, users expect much more ...
gosforth
Grafter

I did not really do this with students in mind. I basically have a lot of 'legacy' software that was produced on Sun's Solaris OS with the Sparcworks compilers. They don't support Pascal anymore, so I was looking towards porting my old code to GNU Pascal so that I can continue to use it. My user interface used Sun's XView, which is also in the legacy category. I linked Pascal through C to get to the XView. Hence my interest in the C/Pascal interface, although I am looking at using tk-tcl instead. I always learn languages through doing lots of examples. I learnt C about 10 years ago and forgot it again. At least I have a more permanent repository now (which I will be adding to). If it is helpful to others as well that would be great. I also have a page that has some tk-tcl examples. I will be developing that too.

I know that if I was to start developing a new application today I would not use Pascal. That is not my situation. I have 100,000+ lines of code and I don't have the time to start recoding it all in Java or C++!

Chris
N/A

I'm in a similar position with C - so I may well find your site useful. Thanks Smiley

I wasn't meaning to disparage the Pascal language per se. As far as I can tell the whole Delphi IDE and component library is written in the Borland dialect, so it's probably safe to say it has few inherent limitations, just missing some of the shorthand in the C-based languages. I quite like it now ...