Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor fan not spinning - no display

henderson1977
Grafter

Hey all,

My PC was working fine yesterday but turned it on today & I got no display, or BIOS beeps. So I removed the side panel to confirm the PSU was still working, keyboard powered up, lights on motherboard, 2 case fans spinning BUT... the processor fan is NOT spinning.

Do I assume the processor is toast now or could it be a defective motherboard preventing power to just the CPU and the CPU fan?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

- Epox 8K7A+ motherboard
- Athlon XP processor
43 REPLIES
N/A

Some motherboards wont boot up if the fan attached to the motherboard header is not there or not working right.

Try sticking one of your case fans plugs where the CPU fan plug is (usually a 3pin plug), if it boots up (the bios screen loads) turn the PC off immediately after knowing its working (pull the kettle plug from the power supply at the back is the safest way).

If it doesnt work your CPU is toast and you will need a replacement.

If it does work you need a new fan to put on the heatsink.

Unless the CPU is 3 years or less old I dont think you will be able to RMA it back to AMD unfortunately.
henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion, phearfactor.

I did exactly as you advised... I plugged one of the 3-pin case fans where the CPU fan connects to and it powered up fine, but I got no BIOS screen so my CPU must be toast!

I then plugged the CPU fan back in and it started spinning irregularly (fast...slow...fast...slow... for 10 seconds or so, then stopped), I then spun the fins on the CPU fan and it has been spinning normally for over 10mins now.

So what appears to now be a working CPU fan (again!), doesn't take away the fact that during the time it failed to spin normally (or at all even!), has made my CPU toast.

Would you agree? If so, should I just buy a new Athlon XP chip and CPU fan only, without the need for a new heatsink?

Cheers
Scott
N/A

Your better off getting a Retail AMD Athlon, you get a new fan, heatsink and processor and usually a 3 year warranty. It costs a little bit more than an OEM chip but the 1 year warranty for OEM compared to the 3 year for Retail is a major factor with CPUs.

What AMD Athlon is this "****+" etc ?
The Athlon range run on different FSB (Front Side Bus) and if you buy a betetr version you may also need to upgrade your memory. If you can tell me what the processor says - usually at the bottom of the CPU on a label. I will be able to tell you what your best off buying without having to upgrade anything else.
henderson1977
Grafter

Good advice, thanks again phearfactor!

Unless you know of particularly cheap suppliers, I think Maplin do good deals on Retail AMD bundles...
N/A

I usually look to www.scan.co.uk for good deals.
Their postage can be hight for small orders tho.
N/A

Dabs, Scan, Savastore those are the main three that I use. Like I said above though if you know exactly what you need you can just use froogle for the cheapest price.

http://froogle.google.co.uk
N/A

Most modern boards will shut the pc down if the cpu gets to hot to ensure it isnt toast. Make sure its faulty before you get another one
henderson1977
Grafter

I have connected a working CPU fan (same manufacturer and spec) and it DOES spin when I switch on the PC but there is STILL no display or any (BIOS) beeps at all.

Do I assume my CPU is toast then? How can I be sure it is not the CPU connection on the motherboard or even just the motherboard itself?!

I just don't want to order a replacement CPU and find the problem has not be resolved, that's all.

Thanks in advance.
Scott
N/A

No beeps could mean anything from faulty speaker, faulty power supply, faulty motherboard.

Do you not have an old motherboard you could test it in? or a friends?

You could take it to a local computer shop and ask if they will test it for you.

When you first opened the case - was there a burning smell?

Have you tried removing the memory and booting - usually doing this the board will give some beep errors (depending on the bios)

Do you know what Bois the board has? (Check Mobo manual)
N/A

If the CPU fan wasn't spinning when you looked inside the first time then it is most likely going to be the Processor.

It won't be the motherboard because when motherboards die they dont allow the throughput of the power to make the fans spin at all, so all the fans would not be working. Although this is not always the case heh

It could be your graphics card possibly but due to their being no BIOS beeps whatsoever its most likely due to the Processor. But sometimes motherboards dont use beeps and use another device for post error codes.

Sure there is a possibility that it could be something else other than the CPU, there always is but all signs point to it.

Anyway, looking at your manual the reason there is no post error beeps is because it uses POSTMAN.

As far as I know there is a POSTMAN LED function in the bottom right hand corner of the motherboard. When you turn your computer on two numbers should appear in the two LEDs there. If you could post a reply telling us what exactly the POSTMAN LEDs are stating then it is easy to reassure you what the problem is.

Hope this helps.
henderson1977
Grafter

Excellent. I will give this a shot when I get home tonight and let you know how I get on...
henderson1977
Grafter

By the way, I did try the "faulty" CPU fan in a working PC and it DID work! So can I assume the CPU fan is okay and that the CPU is actually toast?

(I'm going to put the working CPU and CPU fan into the "faulty" PC and if it works then I'll know it's the CPU that is definitely toast)

Scott
N/A

That sounds like the best way, but I can identify the exact problem if you just boot up your system and reply with what the two numbers/letters that appear on the LCD panels at the bottom right corner of the motherboard.
henderson1977
Grafter

Well, I am confused! I definitely had lights and a Postman LED number yesterday but no matter what I do tonight, I'm getting NO LIGHTS and NO POSTMAN LED NUMBER at all!

I have:
1) Changed battery
2) Cleared CMOS (switching jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3 for over a minute and moving jumper back to pins 1-2)
3) Removed both memory simms

Perhaps my mobo is toast afterall? But is that not to say my CPU is still toast as well?