cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Limewire P2P

soulboy

Anyone else having trouble getting a decent connection? Used to work fine for me, but these last couple of weeks (maybe longer), I've not been able to establish a decent, "stable" connection. Nothing's changed as far as my set-up goes, so I was wondering if PlusNet were perhaps blocking Limewire due to the pending legal action over mis-use of copyrighted content?

If it's nothing to do with that, then is there something else I can check to see why the connection is seemingly "unstable"?

Thanks for any/all help,

Dougie :?
10 REPLIES
N/A

plusnet decided to block all p2p.. time to find a new isp..
Denzil
Grafter

Limewire is notorious for delivering spyware and adware along with the p2p content, and p2p in general can use disproportionate amounts of an ISP's bandwidth, which is why PN block it.
N/A

Limewire is notorious for delivering spyware and adware along with the p2p content, and p2p in general can use disproportionate amounts of an ISP's bandwidth, which is why PN block it.

Acoording to limewire : No Spyware, No Adware, No Trojan Horse, Just Pure File Sharing...

Pn block it because they have too many customers and not enough bandwidth.. Inept management..
N/A

Were does it say PN block p2p I would like to see that?
N/A

Were does it say PN block p2p I would like to see that?

They might not say it but the effect of traffic management means that is wot happens in practice..

check the forums if your in any doubt of that..
N/A

If you are going to make a statement please try and make sure its true. I use p2p so its not blocked it may be managed as stated but not blocked. Dont forget p2p may be blocked or managed by other isps which may in turn slow your downloads
N/A

Limewire and Frostwire typically want port 6346 open on your router and/or firewall.
soulboy

OK, so I've managed to survive with no P2P for the last several weeks - re. the recent e-mail from PlusNet (subject : new Broadband Firewall), do I have to turn this off to allow P2P to flow again, or should I just re-set from HIGH to LOW?

BTW, how does Fr**twire compare with L*m*wire? Any better?

Cheers ... Dougie
Discostoo
Grafter

Grimewire

Hmm, Limewire is by nature nt reliable but have you tried using Limewire after midnight to see if that makes it any better?

This would see if PN's throttling of P2P during peak hours is affecting your connection. I know Gnutellas network's are far busier than they have been in recent years, these things tend to go in cycles.

As for Limewire being virus free, spyware free? lol, i'd hate to be your virus checker... Cool
N/A

I don´t know what your technical expertise are when it comes to computers but Limewire is the most dangerous P2P going. I have read the code for it and I was horrified by the shear number of security holes in it.

It takes me about 45 seconds to hack your PC to the point where I can modify your registry, Install programs and steal your credit card details or make your PC disable it´s own anti-virus and firewall programs, block windows from telling you that they are disabled.

I must stress that I only do that to people who want me to test their PC´s security programs.

I can only do it if you have the upload option enabled in Limewire. You should move to a torrent program such as Utorrent and change the port to something else such as 7200. But if you still want to use Limewire then at least change the port because by just doing that you have almost reduced the number of hacks by about 25%.
About 78% of the files on Limewire contain spyware.

For those who want to disable the Windows XP security notifications you open command prompt and type in:
net stop wscsvc

---------------------------------------------
I gave up jogging for my health because my thighs kept rubbing together and setting my boxers on fire