Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with surfing on 1 machine.

glyndev
Grafter

Hi all.

I have a problem that is really baffling me.

I recently (a couple of days ago) upgraded the cpu in my machine (AMD Duron 1.6Gig to an AMD Athlon 2Gig) Had problems so reverted to the Duron.

Since reverting I can get email, do traces, play Everguest, ftp and telnet.

But when using IE, NS 7.1, 9 and Opera everything times out on HTTP, But with HTTPS all is ok.

Yet on my Linux server and my wifes PC surfing is no problem.

Any ideas ?.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

htp is a funy old protocol. I've had similar problems recently with my laptop after removing the bios battery and the clock resetting. It turned out that Zonealarm was blocking everything adn then crashing because the files were out of date (IE too far in the future) because the clock was wrong!.

I doubt thats the cause of your problems, but you never know - thought it might be worth mentioning.

Other than that, I'm stumped for ideas. I've had http errors in the past which have been fixed using these 2 commands:
format c:
setup.exe (Using windows CD)

Off the top of my head, nothing else springs to mind. If I think of anything I'll post back.

Just out of curiosity, you checked the connection settings in IE? - What about the default gateway IP in network properties? (Yeah I know it should be ok if https works but it's always worth checking).

Strange..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Please go to the Start Menu, click on "Run", type "cmd" and press Enter.

At the prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns" which may solve your problem (although, like okrzynska, I'm confused that you can still visit https sites). If this doesn't work type "ipconfig /all" and post the results here, this may help us diagnose the problem.

Another distinct possiblity is that a software firewall is blocking http requests from all of your browsers as okrzynska says- https uses a different port so this could explain why you are still able to visit secure websites. Try either disabling it or uninstalling and re-installing it if you have one to see if that makes a difference.
glyndev
Grafter

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name : glyn
Primary Dns Suffix :
Node Type : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled : No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No

Results from ipconfig/all.

Ethernet adapter Home Network 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Description : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2
Physical Address : 00-E0-4D-37-E1-28
Dhcp Enabled : No
IP Address : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers : 212.159.6.10
: 212.159.6.9
: 212.159.13.49
: 212.159.13.50
Primary WINS Server : 192.168.0.4
Secondary WINS Server : 127.0.0.1

There is no difference from settings before the problems began.

I dont use DHCP on my LAN because of the server and family members using FTP to move files around from comp to comp.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Couple of points here-

1. DHCP and static IP addresses are perfectly capable of working together on the same network. Simply reserve a range for fixed IP addresses (to make sure one isn't accidentally assigned by the DHCP server when the machine using it is offline, thus creating a conflict) and set those machines you want to have assigned IP addresses manually. The remainder can simply be left to use DHCP.
2. The secondary WINS server is on a different IP address range that will be unresolvable- remove it.
3. Is there any particular reason you have WINS servers assigned at all? Do you need to refer to machines on your network by name rather than IP address?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Must be said, I never use WINS.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
glyndev
Grafter

Couple of points here-

1. DHCP and static IP addresses are perfectly capable of working together on the same network. Simply reserve a range for fixed IP addresses (to make sure one isn't accidentally assigned by the DHCP server when the machine using it is offline, thus creating a conflict) and set those machines you want to have assigned IP addresses manually. The remainder can simply be left to use DHCP.

With the way that the lan is used here it is better and easier to use static IP's rather than dynamic.

2. The secondary WINS server is on a different IP address range that will be unresolvable- remove it.

Removed

3. Is there any particular reason you have WINS servers assigned at all? Do you need to refer to machines on your network by name rather than IP address?

Several sites are hosted on my server under several domains and sub domains. using the IP address of the server I can only access the 1st virtual host listed in HTTPD.conf using the LMHosts facility gives me access to all of them and saves the hassle of using a proxy server such as guardster.

Also we all play Everquest which gets regular patches that can be very large (up to several hundred meg) and time consuming. You can imagine the bandwith that takes up every month with 5 machines. By using static IP's and FTP between machines this reduces the bandwidth used and the time taken overall.
Better for 1 machine to download at 50kb for 1 hour and 4 machines to ftp at 100Mb for 2 mins each than 5 machines downloading at 10kb for 5 hours.

May sound complicated but works for us.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Well, if it works for you, why change it- TBH I doubt I could come up with a better solution in those circumstances.

Going back to the original problem, I can't see anything wrong with the your settings that'd prevent you from connecting to the internet on your machine. The gateway is correctly configured, and the DNS servers PlusNet's, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

As you haven't responded to the point about software firewall I'm assuming you either don't have one, or have eliminated it as described above.

Are you able to carry out a nslookup on the websites you can't visit? If so, are you able to ping them? Lastly, can you then do a tracert?
N/A

first download the winsoc fix and see if that fixes the problem free from
http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlwinsockxpfix.html

If that doesnt fix it try tracert 194.119.131.66 and post the results.

Is there any error messages when things dont work? Can you ftp telnet etc ok?
glyndev
Grafter

Sorry. forgot about firewall question, had other problems (9yo son been assaulted by group of 10 kids aged 12 to 17).

Windows firewall is disabled (Hate it). was using ZApro had problem with it so not using now. need to get another sorted.

Been using Neo Trace several times today getting pings returned no problem, but have noticed that transatlantic returns are slow.

Still cant surf Cry
glyndev
Grafter

first download the winsoc fix and see if that fixes the problem free from
http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlwinsockxpfix.html

Downloaded and run.

Is there any error messages when things dont work? Can you ftp telnet etc ok?

NS 7.1, NS 9 and Opera now working. Mail, FTP, Telnet and gameing ok. But IE still screwed.

Think I will dump IE and just use Opera and NS from now on