cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with modem

N/A

Problem with modem

A friend recently gave me a Alcatel USB Touch (or something like that...) modem and told me I should have no problems using it for my new broadband connection. The problem is that he did not give me the installation cd-rom...any suggestions?
I tried downloading the drivers from the Alcatel website but they are not enough,it still asks me for the cd. Sorry for my ignorance,any help is appreciated.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Problem with modem

The drivers should be enough, but you will need to configure a connection which the CD will normally do for you.

Does windows, pick up the modem correctly? now that you've loaded the drivers?
Community Veteran

Problem with modem

Which drivers did you download? The modem you have is the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB and you need to download the correct version of the drivers.

The Alcatel SpeedTouch download website is here and you need to download V3.0.1 drivers for Windows which is the first one listed under Software. They should not require the original CD Rom to install.

The manual for your modem is under the Documentation section which will include install instructions.
N/A

Problem with modem

I downloaded those drivers exactly. The problem is when setup starts, after asking me for the language, it asks for file phonebook.ini either from the cd-rom or from my hard drive.
grahambritten
Grafter

Problem with modem

Yogal

I have found that the drivers on the Alcatel SpeedTouch download website are upgrades to the original drivers that are on the original installation CD.

I have PM you with a solution. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Graham
N/A

Problem with modem

You need the full version from Speedtouch UK.
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/upgrade.asp#330
Alec
N/A

thank you for the effort

Dear All,
I have to thank you all for your help. I got the full version and that is no longer my problem. Unfortunately, it seems more serious now. My computer does not recognize the software. The modem, as you may know, has 2 lights: the "usb" one is on but the "adsl" is off. Do you think it is a problem with the modem itself or maybe even the connection...?Huh
Community Veteran

Problem with modem

Time to read through some troubleshooting tutorials and help pages:

ADSL: Trouble Shooting

ADSL Problems Hel ppage

and to make sure your are wired up properly: ADSL: Wiring and Filters.

Are all phones, 56k modems, faxes and sky boxes all connected via ADSL filter/splitters?

Have you tried disconnecting all other phones?

Have you tried connecting directly to the BT master socket?

Are you actually activated for broadband. The Sync light will not light up if you don't have broadband activated on your line yet.
N/A

Problem with modem

I have no phones nor faxes or sky boxes. I was told last week that my connection was active and ready to use. I bought a cable so that I could connect the modem to the socket. I will go through those Help pages,thank you.
Community Veteran

Problem with modem

Did you migrate by any chance or was this a new ADSL connection.

Also was your line activated earlier than your planned migration or activation date? If so this may have been a false activation email as others have received them before they were activated.

See Migratiion - False activation e-mails?.

If you have been activated early please raise a contact us ticket to check if this activation email was in error. If it was, you will have to wait until your actual activation date before using broadband.

You need to verify if you have actually been activated before any other troubleshooting activities.