cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Graphics Accelerator

Alecto
Grafter

I'm getting a problem which happens about once a fortnight, where a message comes up saying my Graphics Accelerator has stopped responding and had to be reset - used to be less than once a month, so it's getting more frequent..
Not doing anything in particular when it happens - just browsing (I don't do gaming).
Doesn't actually hurt anything so far as I can see, but last time it happened, the screen resolution changed to 800x600, or whatever that thing is where all the icons go very big, and I had to turn the computer off and on again to reset it (restart didn't fix it).

Don't understand what is going on, and don't even know if I've got onboard graphics or a graphics card.
If it's something I can fix quickly and cheaply, I'll do it, but I'm not ready for a rebuild/new motherboard yet if I can help it.

If anybody can suggest what to do next, I'd be grateful.

The Device Manager thing under Control Panel System says I've got a Display Adapter Radeon 9200 Series, and I've posted below a bit of what Belarc Adviser tells me about my system, in case it helps.

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Processor a
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-7VM400M 1.x
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F3 09/04/2003
Drives
400.08 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
224.56 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

1280 Megabytes Installed Memory
Memory Modules c,d
Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A1' has 256 MB

Display
RADEON 9200 SERIES [Display adapter]
Samsung S/M 151S [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n H4KR704669, July 2001)
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

That motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics so you have an independant AGP graphics card.
Other than a mainboard fault, which as you say you don't want to consider unless forced, it could be the graphics card.
If you want to replace this I suggest that as a minimum you go for the Radeon 9550 which will give support for DirectX 9 and you wont need to mess about with your existing drivers. Typical cost new is under £40
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks Jim

So by display adapter it means Graphics card then?
And the 9550 - I just take out the old one if I can find it and bang that in instead, nothing else to do?
Community Veteran

That's correct.
But it is an AGP card and to remove it you must first release the catch
If you have a look at this page the picture shows a typical AGP motherboard and the AGP slot is deep red with a white catch at the bottom. This is the one you need to release.
However before buying anything I would suggest opening the case and have a look. You should also take the opportunity to blow out all the dust (make sure the case is disconnected from the power lead first) as this may even fix the problem
Alecto
Grafter

Right, now I know I've got a graphics card, I've taken it out, blown the slot with my airduster and put it back in. There's only one other card in there anyway and it's very small.

It wasn't very dusty in there as I cleaned it all out when I put a new battery in last month, but it's worth a try and I'll see if it happens again.

Thanks Jim.
Alecto
Grafter

Here's an update.

I've not had the Graphics Accelerator message since airblowing the graphics slot, , but occasionally (like just now, and I noticed it the day before yesterday), when I'm composing an email in Outlook Express, certain lines of the text start to become indistinct and/or smaller wavy, and a few words start to duplicate themselves, though when I delete the duplicate bit, the original bit goes as well (so it's only duplicated on the display, not in the message).
If I minimise the message and bring it back up, it's OK again and sometimes stays OK, sometimes not.

Does this point to a dodgy graphics card?
Community Veteran

Geoff,
I haven't seen that before.
Can I suggest uninstalling the graphics driver and then installing the latest version from http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html before doing anything else.
Alecto
Grafter

Jim
I looked there for new drivers before asking the initial question,but can't find any drivers for it - Radeon 9200 series, with Windows XP.
It just directs me to something called Hydravision.
Community Veteran

This is the link which I got to by clicking on Windows XP Drivers and Software, Radeon, Catalyst 6.6, Radeon 9200 series
You can download the driver only by going to "Low Speed (Dial-Up)" "Display Driver Only"
Note that these links don't work properly unless you have cookies enabled.
Alecto
Grafter

Shockedops: Shockedops: It was the catalyst that fooled me!

Thanks Jim, I've done that and will see how it goes.

It's much newer than the one I had.
Alecto
Grafter

Well I woke up this morning, as all the best blues songs start..................
VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.
So it does look as though the newer driver made no difference.

May as well try a new graphics card now, for what it costs.
Looked up "radeon 9550" and there seems to be many different versions of it. Why is nothing in life ever simple?

Would
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon 9550 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (R9550-TDW256-C) (GX-010-HT) on this page do the job OK?
If not, just point me to something and I'll try it. Cheesy
Community Veteran

That card would be fine.
Also consider this supplier as they have a rather better reputation. Have a look at this forum I have had excellent support from them
Alecto
Grafter

Order placed as per your recommendation Jim.
Thanks for prompt help.
I'll let you know how it goes.