cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem restarting laptop after linux install

Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Having a problem with the restart function of XP Pro. The machine hangs right at the point of shutting down and restaring. The screen goes off but the machine stays on and then - nothing! The power light & the battery lights remain on until I manually power of with the power off switch. When I power up the machine again, it powers up fine but the same problem reoccurs again & again. It powers off fine with the shutdown function.

Recent History:

I installed suse linux 9.2 as a dual boot system, but couldn't get it to let me start XP, or linux properly. I resolved the linux problem by chosing a different screen in the install process, but xp would still not install. So, I reformatted the whole drive and did a clean XP Pro install and no linux, which has left me with this problem!

Time Traveller
XP2000+
512 RAM
40Gig hd
cd-rw drive
XP Pro clean install.

I tried to get info at linuxquestions.org, but failed the entrance exam :lol:

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA
Dave
2 REPLIES
N/A

I cant see the linux install being a problem. Linux as a rule will not mess with ACPI firmware. Laptops are usualy iffy with linux. I find it hard to see where chip corruption could have happened, unless you installed your linux badly which resulted in bad ACPI calls, which in turn fired the chip. However this is very very unlikely.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

the subject line was maybe a little misleading. I wasn't particularly blaming the install, just thought i'd mention the ecent history to see if it had any relevance.

I did have to install linux 3 times before it would work though....
Shockedops: