cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem getting apache to work

Community Veteran

Whenever I try to load apache I get the following in the error log.
I've never encounted this before on any other machines.

Server should be listening on 10.99.25.102 tried on port 80 and 8080.
No other webservers running. the httpd.conf confirms this is correct.

Using win2kpro SP4
Tried running it as a console application and also tried unistalling it as a service and reinstalling.
Reinstalling apache had no joy either.
Had a look on google but all I could find was along the lines of 'check your DLLs' which sounds like a neadle in a haystack to me.

WSAStartup cannot function at this time because the underlying system it uses to provide network services is currently unavailable. : Child 1976: setup_inherited_listeners(), WSASocket failed to open the inherited socket.

Anyone got any ideas?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hate to bump a thread, but does anyone have any ideas on this?

Chris
N/A

Seeing as you've probably tried the obvious stuff, might it be some internal limit on the number of simultaneous connections with Win2k Pro? If it's a recent thing, maybe SP4 has enforced something that used to be allowed?

But this is only guessing, based on a vague memory of reading something I can't remember where ...
Community Veteran

Hmm, simultaneous connections to what? Processes / services etc or do you mean to external connections?
The apache service is being run and viewed on the same machine, perhaps if I set it to only be a local service it might make a difference. I'll try it shortly.

Chris
N/A

Hmm, simultaneous connections to what? Processes / services etc or do you mean to external connections?

That's what I was vague about. What I remember was something about Win2KPro having a "5 connections limit". I think the context was server licensing so external I'd have thought.

I assume MS want people to use a Server version of Windows for server applications and maybe have some restriction in the Pro version.

If no-one else picks up on this I've probably got totally the wrong end of the stick.
Community Veteran

I think I vaguely remember something about that.
I'll try running it just for local host and run in console mode too see if it makes a difference.
Im considering formatting my machine in work anyway so if i cant get it to work its another case for it.

Chris
N/A

Try WinsockFix
There's a registry tweak floating about to increase
max connections per server, but if it's working correctly
on other machines then , I'm not sure if it will help.
Alec
Community Veteran

Thanks I'll take a look on Monday and let you know.

Chris