cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Problem

N/A

Printing Problem

Whenever i try to print anything, the reds do not show up(yellow and blue are fine). I am running XP, my printer is an HP Inkjet 710, and i have just installed a new ink cartridge. Any ideas? I'm not very sussed with computers.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Printing Problem

Has this just started happening? i.e. the printer was fine until you noticed the problem recently.

Is it just web pages with red or can you not print red at all i.e. in pictures?

Are there any other colours that do not show up or not printed properly - i.e. can you print green which needs red etc?

Most printers have a test mode now-a-days, check the manual and see if you can print a colour test page and/or do a nozzel check to make sure everything is working and no nozzels or colour are blocked. Sometimes you can hold a button down on the printer when you power on does it but check the manual. You need to determin if it's the printer or windows causing the glitch.

I think the windows test page has red in the windows logo so try printing a test page from windows.

Check you are running the latest printer drivers. Check HPs web site for updated drivers. Try reinstalling the drivers to see if that fixes it.

Other than that can't think what the problem could be.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Printing Problem

Do you get any red ink if you dab the print head on tissue paper ?? if not, then it is certainly a cart problem.

Chances are the red nozzles have dried up or are blocked or air locked. This is more possible with cheap refilled carts. However, even some genuine HP carts may have been lying around on shop shelves for a while.
Community Veteran

Printing Problem

Depending on the printer, some HP models have a separate print head and only the ink catridge is changed. On other printers you replace the head with the ink (a combined head and ink).

If yours is ink only (no print head included) you may have some blocked holes in the print head if you have not printed for some time. The User manual should explain how to purge the ink (to remove air) and do a print head cleaning cycle followed by a print head test - you may have to do this several times.

If the cleaning does not work and the print head is removable (not all are) try using some foaming cleaner (available from most electronic component suppliers) on the head to see if that will unblock the ink holes - careful, this can be very messey and the ink is permanent so don't get it on your cloths or other furniture. If that does not work then you may have to get the print head replaced or buy a new printer which may actually work out cheaper..

Cheers

Orbi Cool
N/A

Printing Problem

Cheers guys! I' ve worked out that it is definately the cartridge. The red did look as though it was coming through the cartridge before, however, i've tried rubbing it over a piece of tissue again and the red definately seems to be blocked.
Thanks again.
N/A

Printing Problem

Just a point, DAB it on a bit of tissue and don't RUB. It is possible by rubbing to get tissue swarf into the nozzles and block them that way.

take it back to the shop and ask for an exchange.
Community Veteran

Printing Problem

take it back to the shop and ask for an exchange.

If the print head is part of the printer and not part of the replacement ink cartridge then it is the printer that is faulty not the cartridge and the shop will not be at fault. If however the replacement cartridge includes the head then yes the cartridge should be returned as faulty.

In the case where the print head is part of the printer you need to try the printers purge or cleaning cycle to try and unblock the nozzle. If that fails, you have a dud printer and either have to have it repaired or you buy a new one.

Cheers guys! I' ve worked out that it is definately the cartridge. The red did look as though it was coming through the cartridge before, however, i've tried rubbing it over a piece of tissue again and the red definately seems to be blocked.

As above, if the replacement cartridge is only ink (no print head) it is not necessarily the cartridge at fault, it may be the print head that is blocked or the pipe between the ink catridge and the print head.

Can you confirm if the catridge you replaced just contained ink or ink and print head?

Have you not used the printer for a while - say weeks rather than days? If so this would mean the likely cause is a blocked print head.

Have you been using HP approved replacement ink or some of the cheaper 'compatible' catridges? If compatible, the ink used may not be as high a quality and may not have the necessary viscosity and be prone to drying up sooner than approved ink - you often pay the price of cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Printing Problem

The printer dazzanet is using is a Hewlett packard HP710, which uses cartridges with print head built in as with most of the other 700 and 800 series printers.
Cheap refilled carts can be a problem with blocked heads but I have also heard of pukka HP carts that have not worked.
I used to have an old Cannon which used ink tanks that you could refill with ease, pity the print quality was poor as it was damn cheap on ink.
Community Veteran

Printing Problem

OK, I know understand your previous post suggesting the cartridge is returned for exchange/refund.
N/A

Printing Problem

Yes, cqg4uzg speaks the truth - it is a cartridge with built-in print head.
That'll be the last time i buy cheap cartridges! Grrrrrr!

Cheers guys,
Darren