Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printers

zpeterk
Grafter

Printers

Hi all

What I would like to acieve is to stop our children from printing everything they find on the internet by acident. Is there a way or a program that could put a password field on the print dialoge box to restrict their access?
I know it can be done by having a differnet user name with no printing rights but changing users means logging off and on again(as win2k doesn’t have fast user switching) which would be inconvient.

Thanks
14 REPLIES
N/A

Printers

uninstall the printer? and just re-add it when you need to print stuff off?
unplug the printer?
remove the paper?
remove the connection lead (usb?) between printer and PC?
zpeterk
Grafter

Printers

Thanks for your reply buzzons

The printers aren't local to pc's they are on print servers, that is part of the problem. You go to the office and there is just loads of paper all over the place!!
zigzak
Grafter

Printers

Hi,
You could go into Control Panel and set the printer(s) to "Work Offline" or "Pause Printing" - at least this would mean you could then review and/or cancel the jobs waiting later.

But then I'm sure they will figure out how to remove these options before long!!
zpeterk
Grafter

Printers

OK that would work from one pc but there is six to contend with
zigzak
Grafter

Printers

Hi,
I'm confused. Have you got 6 PCs with printers on, or 6 PCs that the kids could go and use?

If it's 6 PCs with printers, but the kids only use 1 PC then you need only do the steps I described on that one PC - because when you go to Control Panel all 6 printers will be listed.
N/A

Printers

I think he said that the Printer is remote, connected to the PC's using a print server.

This would seem to imply that there are 6 PCs accessible to the kids, with one printer connected to the network, and accessible from any of the PCs.
zigzak
Grafter

Printers

Hmmm, so you'd have to go to each one and set the "Use offline" thing. Bit of a pain!

If it's via a print server there could be some kind of option there (ie. at the server) to at least limit the TIMES that the printer can be used, ie. office hours only?
N/A

Printers

You can give them no rights to print and if you want to print you can use RUNAS so you dont need to log off. This is th correct way to do it and all Unix systems only logon with min rights ad use runas its safer
zigzak
Grafter

Printers

But would this work with Windows 2000 which is the OS they are running?

If you open, say, Word and then want to print a document you would have no way of changing the permissions at that point surley?
N/A

Printers

The only way to do it porperly is to have seperate user names for the kids and assign permissions. It takes 30 secs to logon/logoff. You also need to think about if the kids do need to print anything off like school work etc... There is no quick easy solution. You need to decide what you want them to do and what you dont!
zpeterk
Grafter

Printers

I've sorted it by making the default printer one on lpt1 which there isn't so all I do is delete the jobs at a later date and when you want to print you just have to sellect a printer that does exist.
zigzak
Grafter

Printers

I'll give you 1-2 days before they figure that out Cheesy
psk10
Grafter

Printers

:lol:
Would It not be easier to Hide the Printer Cable !!! ?
N/A

Printers

install a program called papercut, it allows you to assign "credits" to user accounts on a network, so if they dont have enough they cant print ^_^