cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Buying Advice

N/A

Printer Buying Advice

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new printer and would really value some input as to what would be a good one to go for.

In the main, I only print out word docs and web pages etc, but occasionally I have the need to make photographic prints,cards etc.

I currently have a Lexmark Z23 but am moving away from that due to the hold they have on the ink carts. Evil

What is the best manufacturer to buy that has not necessarily the cheapest inks, but not the most expensive either! :lol:

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Tim
9 REPLIES
N/A

Printer Buying Advice

Epson Epson Epson. Without a doubt the cheapest cartridges out there and very reliable with a good print. The base model Epson is the C46 and costs about £40. It comes with a colour and black cartridge and will print text documents perfectly and give a very good quality print right up to photo quality if you select the right settings and paper. Although at this really high setting it can take quite a while to print.

When you buy replacement cartridges don't buy genuine Epson but compatible cartridges which are manufactured by a 3rd party ie Inkrite. For the C46 they are approx £2 for a colour and the same for black and most small computer shops sell them or you can get them on the net. Genuine Epson ones will be about £8.

I had a Lexmark Z25 and it was a horrible, horrible printer. I got the C46 and the difference is like night and day.
N/A

Printer Buying Advice

Check out the Canon Pixma range, I have the IP4000 and use it more for photo stuff which it does a good job of and the odd pages of text.

Like the Epson it uses individual ink tanks at around £2 each for 3rd part inks but without the chips that epson has on theirs so you could buy the ink and refill them yourself, Also has 2nd paper feed from a tray underneath and does duplex! although it takes a while turning the page over, One of my favourite features is what it does with web pages, instead of the annoying right hand side missing or bottom 2 lines of the page being stuck on another sheet Canons software reduces it to all fit one page.

Heres a couple of reviews
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip4000.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/epson_r300m.html
This ones probably overkill but this site didnt review the R200 which comes without the display panel.

HTH
Patch
Grafter

Printer Buying Advice

We've got one of the Epson photo range, which does give great print quality, but the colour cartridge has 5 different colours in one, so when you run out of blue for example (lots of sunny skies) you have to replace the whole thing. Not sure if you can get them but it might be worth trying to get a printer with seperate carts for each colour.

Patch
N/A

Printer Buying Advice

After spending my life savings trying to keep up with Epsons appetite for ink cartridges, I went out and bought a HP.

I am sure that someone keeps sneaking into my house and refilling it as my spend on cartridges has gone from £££££££ to virtually nil. There was also an article in CA/PCW that showed just how expensive Epson and Lexmark were to run.
Community Veteran

Printer Buying Advice

I went out and bought a HP.

Oh dear... HP sued for chipped cartridges Wink

Just thought it was humorous when you said you changed because of the cost of ink cartridges. Most likely a 'US' thing anyway.
Community Veteran

Printer Buying Advice

Yorkiepudd

Which HP printer did you eventualy get?
I've had a HP 870cxi for years and its still printing but getting colour cartridges for it is now very difficult as it's no longer a current model.

Like you I have found that the ink seems to last for ever and when I bought this one several years ago it was after reading a comparison writup in a Personal Computer World Mag that gave the HP 870cxi the most pages per refill.

So I'm going to have to buy a new one some time when I can no longer find cartridges for it.
N/A

Printer Buying Advice

Hi
Its a deskjet 5650. Cost about £70 from Currys (August last year I think) and came with allsorts like the extra 3 colour cartridge for photo printing (never tried that) a tray for auto double-sided printing (never tried that either). What I was most impressed with was the print quality though. Fastdraft on the HP is as good as best quality was on the Epson, everything is just so much sharper, text, pics, the lot.

I bought it after reading several reports abou the cost of ink for printers and they were not wrong about Hp being one of the most economical. Although Epson cartridges were a lot cheaper, I was forever changing them, the blacks only lasted about 30 or so sheets and I tried originals, cheapos, the lot, they were all as bad.
Community Veteran

Printer Buying Advice

Thanks for that I'll put that one on my list when I find it impossible to get a replacement cartridge for my 870cxi. Smiley
N/A

Printer Buying Advice

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice. It's given me some good ideas to ponder.

Cheers,
Tim.