Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to searc

henderson1977
Grafter

Hi all

I have created a sysprep'd Windows XP SP2 image and have successfully deployed the image to a number of different hardware platforms, including the Dell D400 Latitude laptop.

However, during the "Installing Devices" stage, a dialogue box "Found New Hardware Wizard" appears and asks "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?". When I select "No, not this time", Windows XP finds the driver for the Plug and Play monitor anyway and continues installing the remaining devices, without manual intervention. Ideally, I want the whole process to by automated, without any manual intervention.

I thought I had found the solution by adding the following into the registry on the image (pre-sysprep):-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]
"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

... but this has failed to work when restoring the image on the D400.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Scott
3 REPLIES
N/A

Do you know what the hardware is? The problem is it cant find the right drivers or the date on them is old so it trying to get new ones. A syspreped image is designed to install the O/S on a pc the same as the image came from or simliar or you must provide the drivers. If the pc are not the same then you will get this problem if you did stop it then it may fail because it hasnt got the right drivers.

If your doing this at work then the best bet is to use MS RIS server as this creates the image for you
N/A

or use Ghost and have different hals for different machines... (can RIS do that now?)
henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks for your replies mwright & buzzons...

This is a work project, using LANDesk Management Suite 8.5 SP2 for OS Deployment, to 14 models of laptops and 9 models of desktops. Although it would be nice, Ghost cannot be used because we are licensed to use LANDesk only at present. We 2 sysprep'd images, one for the laptops which commonly have a PIC HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and the other for the desktops, which commonly have an APIC HAL. All 23 hardware platforms have driver injection working, so drivers are not an issue at all here.

During the "Installing Devices" stage of mini-setup, the Plug and Play monitor is found, to which a dialogue box appears on-screen "Found New Hardware Wizard" and asks "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?". If I leave it, it will close the dialogue box and continue after exactly 5 mins. This is only happening on a couple of our laptop models, but they are healthy in numbers throughout the firm. Ideally, I want the whole process to by automated, without any manual intervention, so is there a way to prevent this dialogue box from appearing please?

Regards
Scott