cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Upgrade Tech Quest.........ie HELP!!!

N/A

Around september/october time I'm doing a £1100 upgrade :-

Ati X1900XTX 48 pipe monster
2Gb Corsair XLLpro 3200 ddr
AMD 64 4400+ 1mb+1mb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

What I do need most of all is a Motherboard that will accomodate all 9 of my internal hard drives I have 4 on SATA, 3 on IDE, 2 on IDE RAID....
I would prefer not to put a controler card in a pci slot as the ATI card WILL cover one pci slot the X-Fi elite will fill another and I have two network cards as well.....Bit of a tall order I know but any suggestions gratefully recieved....
5 REPLIES
N/A

It would help if we uderstood why you need all these drives and network cards. I have run pc's as servers with 30,000 users on less.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Here's the bad news.- I hope you've already bought it.
As far as I can tell the 4400 with 1mb/1mb cache has been discontinued as is being replaced with a 512/512 cache.
See this thread http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=78355 and this report http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32452
N/A

The only boards I have come across that have more than 2 ide connectors (1 or more being designed for the RAID) are the Gigabyte GigaRAID motherboards.

Unfortunately as far as I know PCI-E + GigaRAID is only supported on the Intel Motherboards labelled - GA-8I945 and GA-8I955.

These boards will support the 2 drives on IDE RAID leaving 2 more standard IDE channels for 4 optical/hard drives etc.

Here is one for example

If this is not what you mean please correct me. As far as I can tell you need a board with 3 IDE channels and 4 SATA ports where 1 or more of the IDE channels support RAID... Correct? Wink

Considering hotlanes post it may be worth considering Intel instead. The performance in games may be a little worse but overall if you want space on the PCI side and the 9 drives connected via the board Intel would probably handle it better anyway.

You could always consider an external drive enclosure or similar. :?:
Denzil
Grafter

Here's an off-the-wall idea. Do you need data retrieval from all 9 drives at max speed? If not then fit some of them into an old/cheap PC and network it.. Might be easier and cheaper than getting all the drives in one box.
N/A

to be fair, most motherboards have onboard GigE network cards (so would that drop the number of network cards you need?)

new mobos have 6 SATAII ports usualy, with 2 IDE chains (4 disks) so you will have a proplem with the other 2 IDE drives, you could get IDE2SATA converters, but i have no idea how well these work. Your best bet would be to get a PCI raid card - I know you may have an issue with the number of PCI slots, just get a motherboard that has enough of them :p standard ATX mobos usualy have 5 which should be plenty.