cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power usage

willow147
Grafter

Power usage

Ok, not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes (mods, please move it to a more appropriate place if necessary).

With the current bandwidth restrictions and the future product model (neither of which I have problems with), the advice is to schedule any downloads for after midnight.

A question for you clever people. What sort of cost are we talking (as far as electricity is concerned) to leave the PC on say from midnight to 8am.

I very rarely leave my machine on after I go to bed, not due to cost I'll add, but was interested in the general cost of running a PC.

I know it's down to machine spec so assume a high end PC (32 bit).
11 REPLIES
N/A

Power usage

I don't know exactly, but I expect it varies form machiine to machine. There were some figures floating around the folding@home forum.

IMHO
With things like turning off the monitor and using CPU scaling, I imagine the effect is minimal.
wheelnut
Grafter

Power usage

Don't know if it helps, but I use an old 200MHz Laptop with a long expired screen backlight for all my downloads and as a http/ftp server. I have it hanging on the network and communicate with it via VNC. Its been running continuously for over a year now (has XP installed running with 128MB RAM). Has the added advantage that it still runs through power black/brownouts due to the battery still working. Its quiet, small and I generally forget about it for a few days after I have loaded it up with a few big torrents to download. Have a little script which changes the gateway address to something not on my network so it essentially goes offline automatically between 8am and midnight. It takes around 1.2A from its 19V supply, so allowing for losses thats about 30W. Therefore it costs just under a unit (9p?) per day to run 24/7.
N/A

Power usage

This looks like it might be useful (Google is your friend!)

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/computers.html

M
Community Veteran

Power usage

check this thread as well:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38791

in that thread its estimated that 100w costs about £35 a year, so for me (400w) it would be about £140 a year
N/A

Power usage

The other contributing factor is whether or not you are on economy 7.

I leave my pc (AMD 64 4000, 2GB Ram, 3x250GB HDD's, X850 XT PCIE, DVD Writer and some fans) and have not noticed any difference in my elec bill.

I think you can buy a little plugin to go inbetween your PC and the power socket that will tell you how much wattage etc it is using, but I can't remember where from (try Maplin).
Community Veteran

Power usage

Good thread, but I'm moving it to Computers and Hardware.

Chris
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Power usage

If your overnight downloads are not going to take the full 8 hours could you not set it to turn off when the queue is empty?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shellsong
Grafter

Power usage

I think you can buy a little plugin to go inbetween your PC and the power socket that will tell you how much wattage etc it is using, but I can't remember where from (try Maplin).

Here-- I've got one! Wink
N/A

Power usage

Even though people are saying that a 400W PSU will do blah blah, you will find that this is very very wrong. It also depends HIGHLY on what PSU you are talking about.

An ineffecient Generic Power Supply of about 400W may require 600W from the wall to create 400W of power into your PC. A more expensive 400W PSU will use around 420-450W or maybe even less.

Alot of the time a system with huge wattage power supplies dont even use that many watts. So a 600W PSU wont be going bang at it all the time, it probably wont get to 600W once, unless your using an SLi system etc.

It really does depend mainly on the PSU quality, the system specifications and like the above poster mentioned - how much you are paying per unit. It could get very complex lol

Personally I would say if you PC costs around £1000 or over then it will cost a fair bit to leave it on all night. Whereas if its an old laptop like another poster mentioned, or even a very slow pentium 3 system then the cost may be half or even less than a that compared to PCs today.

But remember just because a power supply says its 400W it could actually only be running at 200W, but then it could be using 300W from the wall to convert into 200W for the PC. Confusing enough to make me want to stop typi...
N/A

Power usage

shellsong
Grafter

Power usage

Copycat! Wink Tongue (beat you by six and a half hours!)