cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Mac purchase

Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Possible Mac purchase

I'm looking at getting a Mac, does anyone have any advice to offer?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Possible Mac purchase

Errr.... that's an ever so slightly vague question. :? If you could give myself and others a better idea of what you might like to know, then maybe we can help - I'm an avid Mac user and I believe there're a few others on here who use the Mac OS too.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Possible Mac purchase

Sorry, my bad. I'm looking at getting a MacBook Pro running both OS and Windows Vista with Parallels Desktop for Mac. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as I've not owned a Mac before.
Community Veteran

Possible Mac purchase

Well, I use a XP Home on a MacBook Pro via Boot Camp, and I've had no problems, Parallel's software has also received some very good reviews. Beware though that ideally you want a good amount of RAM if you're going to be using Parallels often, as you'll need enough RAM to happily feed both the Mac OS and Windows Vista at once - not least because Vista is a big RAM-hog itself.

Having said that, I'd wait a bit before buying a MacBook Pro - chances are, new models are going to be released in the next month or two, with Intel's new Santa Rose platform (i.e. faster CPUs), and possibly other niceties such as an LED-backlit display.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

As it says on the application box...

Microsoft Word app box says:-

"For Windows XP or better"

So buy a Mac! Wink

Joking apart, I've been using Apple Macs since 1990 starting with the Classic and System 6.0.0. Currently using both a G4 iMac (17' flat panel screen) and aG4 powerbook. Will be upgrading to an intel imac when Leopard launches in the autumn.

Go for it.
The revue of parallels in Macworld looks good.
N/A

Possible Mac purchase

I would wait until after 11 June as it is very likely that Apple will be bringing out a new range of MacBook Pro's at the Worldwide Developer Conference which starts on this date.

As a G4 Powerbook and (Intel) Mac Pro user I would never go back to Windows and I would have no hesitation in recommending buying a Mac.

I use Parallels with my Mac Pro to run Windows XP Home (for my one program that will not work with OSX). Parallels provides good basic functionality but does have a few quirks and is certainly not perfect. As long as you do not use graphic intensive programs and have a reasonable amount of RAM then you should have no problems.

If you do want to use graphic intensive programs, which only work with Windows, then your only realistic option is Boot Camp. This software is provided free of charge by Apple but is still in Beta format with no formal support. The final version of this software will be part of Leopard which is due in October.

When you first get your Mac take some time to get to know how it works - it can seem very confusing at first ! Try and switch to programs that will run on OSX (rather than Windows). After a very short period of time you will wonder why you did not switch sooner.
N/A

Possible Mac purchase

Ruslyn77 gives good advice here. 11th of June is definitely a date to watch.

I use a MacBook Pro, an iMac and a G5 desktop with Plusnet's service and there are no issues that I have come across relating to getting them running smoothly with Plusnet as ISP.

This is a good year for macs. A lot of people seem to be switching and a glance at the results of the online poll regarding Vista seems to indicate that a lot of people are pretty agnostic about it.

Regards,

John
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Possible Mac purchase

After having a bit of a look, I think I'm going to get a Macbook Pro around September/October time, but is the mail application compatible with a Microsoft Exchange e-mail account?

Also, I'm looking at running Bootcamp with both Vista and OS X and keeping most of my files on an external HDD. Will this not work because the two OS's file structures are different? I just don't want to have to duplicate most of my files.
Community Veteran

Possible Mac purchase

If you can wait until the end of October then that'll definitely be a good time to buy a MacBook Pro, as you'll get Leopard preinstalled. To answer your questions though, yes, Mail is compatible with Exchange (I use it to check my uni e-mail account), and you'll be able to use the external HDD fine with both operating systems, provided you format it using a variant of FAT. (That would though require creating a number of partitions, assuming your external drive is large.) Another option - although one I can't verify the reliability of - is using some kind of software either in Windows or the Mac OS to 'translate' to/from the external drive's file system on the fly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Possible Mac purchase

My words of advice: "NO!!!! Don't do it!" lol

I've heard good things about Macs, but I've also heard they're expensive along with the software.

My personal preference will be to stick with the PC to eternity. Thats because you can customise a PC in your own way - You can build your own PC with your own chosen parts. You can do your own custom thing with a PC and support is cheap and easy to get when you need it.

Can you do that with a Mac?

PC's are getting cheaper daily to build and maintain. Due to the vast amount of parts available I don't think the Mac will in the long term pose much of a threat. Don't get me wrong, I like Macs because they do some superior work and graphics BUT I don't beleive it can contend hardware wise with the PC. I thought it some what funny that for Macs to be so good, people now buy them and run windows on them!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Possible Mac purchase

My words of advice: "NO!!!! Don't do it!" lol

I've heard good things about Macs, but I've also heard they're expensive along with the software.....

Not true.
Ounce for ounce, feature for feature the new Macs have been found to be cheaper in independant reviews over an equivelent Dell. As for diving into the guts and adding stuff, well, not everyone wants to do that, they just want something that works straight out of the box. QED.
Agree with the sentiment on putting XP or vista on it though. It's like buying a Rolls Royce and putting a Skoda dashboard in it. :lol:

For the few things I need windows for, (Sat Nav updates, Snooper speed camera updates) It'd be better to buy a cheap old pc and leave the real computing to the Mac. Wink
MacOS10
Grafter

Possible Mac purchase

I'd agree, it's complete nonsense and a total myth that Macs are more expensive then PCs. True, you can buy cheaper PCs than Macs, but you've also got to take into account the whole-life running costs and that's where the Macs win hands down. It costs far less to run Macs than Windows PCs - for a start, you don't need to keep buying antivirus subscriptions - often a hidden cost on Windows that people overlook - because there's currently no spyware or viruses for Mac OS X you don't need to worry about all that. You also don't get that annoying slow down after a year or two that Windows suffers from - Mac OS X requires little or no maintenance - it's just rock solid.

We've been running Mac OS X for over a year at work, and in all that time we've not had a single crash - not one. Could you really say that about a Windows PCs? Our server, running OS X Server, has been running for all that time (24/7) with no reboots, slowdown or maintenance required.

Buy a Mac, you won't ever want to go back to Windows, trust me.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Possible Mac purchase

I just need access to a Windows machine once in a blue moon for access to certain applications, although paired with a networked hard drive, I'm tempted to chuck on boot camp and Windows.