cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible IE7/Disk cleanup/temporary Internet files conflict.

N/A

I have a strange, not too important but never the less a rather puzzling question.
Since installing IE7 this week, when I do a disk cleanup and it brings up the window where you can view all deletable file's, I highlight Temporary Internet File's and click on VIEW file's only to find 2 folder's with number's and letter's but they are empty. Why can't I view anything, and before you ask I have been browsing for several hour's so there should be something in there. Do I need to amend anything in explorer to be able to view these using the disk cleanup feature?

BTW I have jst gone to C:\WINDOWS\temp\temporary internet files To find it empty...I'm really confused now.....but when i go to IE Options and Browser History and view files they are all there.......

I have noticed to view temp internet files via my browser they are all listed seperately not in folders the address is as followed C:\documentsandsettings\%username%\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles

where as the folder location going via disk cleanup there are 2 folder's and the address is different.....C:\documentsandsettings\%username%\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.ie5

could this be the problem...something to do with IE7 maybe? HELP!

BTW all this was put on after a brand OS was installed Windows XP HE SP2 with all latest updates.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Quick check - I don't have a folder content IE5 and IE7 puts everything straight into the temporary internet files folder.
Sounds like a problem with disk cleanup
N/A

any suggestions....cos all the folder's in disk cleanup temp internet files are all empty
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

either do it manually or use the IE7
Open Tools / Internet Options / Delete (under browsing history) and you can delete whatever you want
- alternatively get IE7 to do it automatically on browser close
http://malektips.com/internet_explorer_7_0012.html

Edit - to correct first suggestion