cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible HDD Failure

Community Veteran

Possible HDD Failure

You can install a copy of windows Xp on any drive or partition without having to remove the existing copy.
At boot up you will then be given an option as to which copy you want to boot with.
No need to touch the bios.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 132

Possible HDD Failure

Hi

I am getting some strange sounds eminating from my PC and I suspect it is the beginnings of a hard drive failure of my 4.5 year old 20GB HDD which I use for system files and the OS.

Recently my 60GB of the same age showed similar signs so it was replaced.

I have four other drives one of which is a totally free 80GB drive so I think my best option is to re-install windows to this drive as I don't have Nortan Ghost to make a working copy of my current configuration.

Can I simply set the BIOS to boot to the other HDD then install XP on that or would I have to wipe of the previous installation of XP from the old drive first.

Thanks for any help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Possible HDD Failure

Thanks for that.

Obviously, I am better off discarding the old 20GB rather than risk losing any data on it any time soon so rather than have two OSes installed can the original be deleted after installation of the 2nd copy so that it does not appear at start-up?

Thanks again.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Possible HDD Failure

Yes you can use the XP installation disk to remove the partition that the old installation is installed on. Then re partition it and re format if you like.
N/A

Possible HDD Failure

you can get a free drive clone from
http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#info

This would be your best bet just clone the disk to the new one.
If you leave the old one in its more than likely that windows will put its boot files on the old drive if its still master and active and point to the new drive to boot/ This means if your old drive dies so does your O/S

Possible HDD Failure

Sorry to sound so dumb but I am new to this concept of just copying the HDD.

I have read the info on the BASIC edition. Have I got it right in that a simple copy of all the contents of HDD0 to HDD2 then setting the BIOS to boot from HDD2 is all I will need. It does sound too good to be true but would save so much re-installation of apps, codecs, etc?

Community Veteran

Possible HDD Failure

I think your easiest way with this is to physically remove the faulty drive which I assume is in IDE one in your machine and set the remaining one as the Primary one. (jumper on the back)
You could then just install Xp on the remaining drive which will be the one that it boots with by default.

Possible HDD Failure

Thanks for all your help.

It's late now and I think it's best if I leave things till I am not so tired - don't want to make any mistakes.

Cheers

N/A

Possible HDD Failure

You can try and recover the old drive by doing a low level format, obviously once you've got the other drive running as your main hdd.

The manufacturer of the hard drive that seems faulty usually has software which does this, it can fix most issues with hard drives and its worth an attempt at it before you discard it!

Although it removes everything on the drive completely.

Wink
N/A

Possible HDD Failure

The problem with low level formatting is that (apart from taking ages) the symptoms can re-appear, and in this case the symptom is undue noise so it's not likely to be curable by any means.
I gave my son an 80Gb HDD to experiment with and he re-formatted it. Worked fine after that for almost two months, then died again, so beware.
I also low level formatted a 200Gb HDD this week and managed to even install Vista on it, but within hours, Vista was warning me that the HDD was in trouble. I ignored it, it crashed, no issue - it was an experiment! Wink
Most manufacturers have downloadable utilities to check your drive's status. I use mostly Maxtor and they have a good returns policy. You run the diagnostic, obtain an error code, enter that and your details into their database, generate an RMA, then you can choose how to send it back.
If you want to transfer data from old to new, or if you have no suitable packaging to send it, you need the credit card option, which lets them send to you first and you can return the old drive in their packaging. Your credit card only gets charged if you don't send the old drive back within 30 days! Shockedops:
Otherwise, without the card, they will wait for you to send the old drive before they send you a new one.
A 20Gb drive may seem a bit old, but you'd be surprised how "extended" some warranties are! Shocked
I believe that Seagate drives have a lifetime warranty and as Seagate have just acquired Maxtor, I'm hoping Maxtor will eventually be the same.

Regards,

Alan.