Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding on Origo Router?

chino
Grafter

Hi,

I have being trying to setup port forwarding on my Origo router has anyone had any luck at doing this as i think i have configued it correctly but for some reason it does not work.

I am trying to forward port 55000 on my IP to an internal IP on port 55000 but for some reason it does not work even when i setup the Virtual Server to forward port 55000 to the correct internal IP it does not work you can try via ftp://temp:temp@cundall.plus.com:55000

Can anyone help me set this up? or do i have to go back to my PCI modem?

Thanks

cUnDaLl
9 REPLIES
N/A

I have forwarded ports through my Origo router. It didn't work straight away because I needed to punch holes through my ZoneAlarm firewall to let them through. If you're using a firewall you chould test your router config with the firewall off for a few seconds a see if it's OK.

Also, I could be wrong, but I thought port numbers were four digits maximum length. If I am wrong I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

hmm the Origo why oh why did you buy it, cheap but too cheap. anyway Edit comming.

ed:

NB you won't beable to test it, you will have to get someone else to test that it works. As this router won't allow you to access any Server from the public IP only the LAN IP.

First if you have followed the security guides on the UK Origo support forum then you will have to re-enable FTP access, so in http://10.0.0.2/doc/misc.htm settings re-enbled FTP Server and Wan side as well.

Then you would add the enteries for virtual server for the Host PC IP and port used. Also as said in the post above add the enteries in your software firewall as well.

Now one thing you can do to help security for your FTP Host, if you want to disable it without rebooting the router, just change the IP of the host PC then the router can't forward the requests so Stealths that port when not in use.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Port numbers are 16bit, so numbers range from 0 through to 65535
N/A

I live and learn.
chino
Grafter

Cheers for the info, i have now changed the port number to a 3 digit one and now i can let people connect. All i need to do not is if i can get somone to connect in PASV mode to view my files.

Could anyone test my FTP again please?

ftp://temp:temp@cundall.plus.com:701

Please login in PASV mode and normal mode to see if u can access my files...

Kind Regards,

cUnDaLl
N/A

It would need to be PASV unless you have also setup a range of forwards to act as data ports.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

cant get a listing with either PASV on or off but could be my router it doesnt like some FTP servers
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Didn't work for me, either.

I wouldn't expect it to work in "normal" mode, as my firewall wouldn't allow the data connection to be established by your server. In the case of passive mode, however, the data connection is established by my client, and my firewall would have allowed that.
    ftp
    ftp> open cundall.plus.com 701
    Connected to cundall.plus.com.
    220 cUnDaLl
    User (cundall.plus.comSadnone)): temp
    331 Password required for temp.
    Password:
    230 User temp logged in.
    ftp> ls
    200 Port command successful.
    150 Opening data connection for directory list.
    [After a wait, I entered Control-C to abort command.]
    Aborting any active data connections...
    425 Cannot open data connection (10060).
    ftp> quote pasv
    227 Entering Passive Mode (81,174,156,108,2,188).
    ftp> ls
    200 Port command successful.
    150 Opening data connection for directory list.
    [After a wait, I entered Control-C to abort command.]
    Aborting any active data connections...
    425 Cannot open data connection (10060).
    ftp> quit
    221 Bye bye ...
The 2, and 188 highlighted above indicate the port (at IP address 81.174.156.10Cool on which the FTP server was expecting the client to open the data connection. The two-byte number with high byte set to 2 and low byte to 188 (the numbers are both in decimal) corresponds to 0x02bc (or 700 in decimal) which is what you'd expect the server to request given that the control connection is on port 701 (convention is data connection port = control connection port - 1).
chino
Grafter

Thanks for all your help i will have to leave it now for while i go on my hol's (india for a bit of scuba diving)

L8r

cUnDaLl