cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop-up message in Outlook Express

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In my work, on my office PC which has Microsoft Outlook, when new mail (internal or external) arrives I get a natty pop-up message to tell me so ("new mail has arrived, would you like to read it now?")

I've been searching round the options in my home Outlook Express (6) for the same kind of thing, but can't find it, does anybody know if OE has this, and if so how? or is it purely a device for company intranets.

Much obliged.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
N/A

I havn't checked if our version of Outlook has this, however, I can confirm that OE has nothing like this.

Outlook is Microsofts premium version of Outlook Express, designed for business envirnments, and featureing a lot of Intergration with other applications, mainly MS Office.

It comes as part of MS Office.

What version of Office could you company run?

Depending on this, I will have a look. I run neither OE or Outlook on my systems, however, other systems run Outlook and OE.
Community Veteran

Thank's for that Acarr Cheesy

The office network version is Office 2000.

Actually I've been considering for some time to switch from OE to MS Outlook at home as I have Office 2000 here at home as well, but am unlikely to do it just to get a pop-up message, I'd need much more incentive than that!! I'm aware of the calendar etc which I already use sync'd to my Psion.

Generally I'm quite happy with OE6, my biggest gripe with it being the length of time it takes to open with all the patches and security updates installed, but since I feel they're a necessary evil I put up with it.

So there you go anybody, give me three good reasons to make the switch.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

I would consider moving to "The Bat!" from Ritlabs.

It has a small notification icon in the system tray, anti-spam plugin support (direct, not through the rubbish MS API) and anti-virus.

Any HTML e-mail you get will only display the images that have been embeded as attachments. No web-bugs can be used. It also doesn't suffer from any of the problems MS has either.

The current version is a little buggy, however, it is a complete re-write. That should change within the month. I havn't looked back from it.
Community Veteran

Hi again,

Is there a URL for this please?

N/A

www.ritlabs.com

Many will not see it to there taste, as the interface can be a little bland (though you only need a single BMP file to change the buttons).

There are some meaty and mighty features in there, some are very advanced and may not be for the faint hearted (including myself).

However, my favourate features are

1: Replies, printing, automated responces, reading confirmation, forwarding and many other aspects are run via templates, so you can set how you wish to display them with ease.

2: The above remplates can also work on a per folder basis. So you can have a different style for each mailing list your on.

3: There is cookie support. This allows you to insert a random line of text from a file. Like the little jokes you get in peoples signature.
N/A

Generally I'm quite happy with OE6, my biggest gripe with it being the length of time it takes to open with all the patches and security updates installed, but since I feel they're a necessary evil I put up with it.

OE is pretty instantaneous on my system even with updates You Might have a
general problem with IE.
Community Veteran

Yes you're probably right, but I'm also aware that I'm only running a P3 550 processor here, so nothing is "instantaneous" unfortunately, however OE6 is by a wide margin the slowest programme I've got to open (although Roxio Photosuite 5 comes a very close second) oddly IE6 by comparison is much much faster.

Once open there's no problem speedwise at all, and I find no disadvantage to having by modern standards a slow prosessor at all, I don't get paranoid about shaving nano-seconds off these kind of times, I find the 550 perfectly adequate for what I want use it for, from this you can tell I'm not a games player as such.

Thank's anyway, no doubt one day I'll get around to looking at my IE6 set-up, perhaps when IE7 comes out...

Community Veteran

Thank's Acarr,

I've taken a very close look at "The Bat" and it is I agree quite interesting and packed with goodies, however I hardly use all the bell's and whistle's in OE6, and doubt if I would make much use of these in the Bat, the built-in anti-virus does make it attractive though, and the spam handler, my anti-virus (MacAfee VS pro) already deals with web and e-mail, and for some strange reason I don't receive much junk mail on my home e-mail (my office Outlook is daily jam-packed with it)

But I will give it the benefit of a trial run (I didn't notice in their web-site what the cost was if you choose to purchase it)

In the meantime, if anybody can come up with three good reasons (other than Office 2000 interagration, which is hardly an issue for me at home, but important at work) to make the switch from IE6 to Outlook I'd be interested to hear them.

Oh yes, I already use Calendar in Outlook to sync with my Psion PDA so I suppose that could count for one reason, although that's relative to an additional activity in the programme rather than e-mail...Ok two more then?