cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poorly XP Computer

johnmglen
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

My Dad (bless 'im) is having a nightmare with his computer. He booted it up and it tells him that C:\windows\system32\config.sys is corrupt or missing.

Is there a way to create a boot disk to get to system restore or something because his windows disk won't allow a repair (not available), the recovery console is way beyond him (he lives 240 miles from me unfortunately or I'd do it), and he is not capable of doing a reinstallation in total?

His 'last known ggod configuration does nothing, safe mode is useless and I am struggling to offer him an alternative.

Any ideas?
10 REPLIES
fakesnake
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

hi can you get him into bios, and set to boot from cd?
should be able to boot from cd, to do a repair.
Slick
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

as above and there are lots of tools to repair on the disc
N/A

Poorly XP Computer

I had this problem and it was so messed up that recovery install didn't want to know (couldn't recognise the existing installation). In the event the following worked-
1. Run Spinrite on the drive to recover data
2. Follow Microsoft KB article 307545
3. Run a recovery installation from the Windows XP CD.

The above will allow you to maintain your files, settings and programmes. This is REALLY not easy though, and a professional engineer will almost certainly be required- the second step caused me all sorts of problems.

The most simple option is to install Windows in another, directory C:\Win32 is often used for this purpose, and recover his files that way. All programmes will need to be re-installed and new users set up from scratch (although unencrypted documents can be recovered).
N/A

Poorly XP Computer

Check the error massage as there isnt a config.sys in system32 config.sys is the old config file for msdos and th eonly time it used now is if you run some old dos progs.

Is he running Xp and does the pc actually boot or stop with an error?
jagger
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

johnmglen
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

Thanks guys, sorted now.
GersFans
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

Thanks guys, sorted now.

Glad you got it sorted!

For future reference, can you tell us what you did to fix the issue? Would be appreciated!
johnmglen
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

Yeh, the computer firm said that there was no repair option as it was OEM? Anyway, full reinstallation of windows was required ...oooops!
shellsong
Grafter

Poorly XP Computer

Yeh, the computer firm said that there was no repair option as it was OEM?

Is that the firm that sold the computer? If so they are responsible for Windoze OEMs while the machine is under warranty-- the OEM means they have support responsibily instead of M$
N/A

Poorly XP Computer

The Microsoft KB article 307545 that myself and jagger referred to states-

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

Sure enough after restoring the first part of the registry (see post above) I was locked out of the registry and had to hack back in to restore the computer to a bootable condition.

Conclusion- whilst it is possible to carry out the cited repair on an OEM system, it is a long and fruhstrating process that should under no circumstances be attempted by a beginner. Merely using the command prompt to repair a non OEM system is beyond the ability of most users.