cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugging into USB after pc is switched on. Allowed?

N/A

Just bought my first pc with usb connections and have signed up for broadband. I'm 2 days into the adventure and have found something that I'm not sure is a problem or not.

Equipment:
hp laptop/windows XP home
Voyager 105 usb adsl modem (plus.net starter kit)

Day 1: I had no problems setting up my pc or setting up the broadband connection - you may tell me different - and was surfing in no time.

Day 2: Worked on the pc without the modem plugged into pc. Decided to go on web and plug the modem lead into usb socket, with pc switched on, but could not connect. Error message along the lines of no modem connected. I shut down the pc, plugged the modem in again, powered up and connected to the web no problem.

Questions:
1. What did I do wrong.
2. Can you plug things (not just modem) into usb when pc is powered up.
3. Can you unplug things from usb with pc powered up.
4. Are there settings that need changing to allow the above.

As you can guess, I'm new to this game and don't really know what i'm doing.

Thanks in anticipation.

Trevor
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1 - nothing that I can see
2 - Yes
3 - Yes
4 - No.

This is most likely to be a modem driver issue not handling the connect/disconnect.

I would not worry about this too much, you just have to reboot after plugging in the modem before you can use ADSL.
N/A

or just leave the modem pluged in all the time.. is there any reason unplugged it?
Community Veteran

Yes, it's a laptop which is probably used away from the ADSL line.
N/A

good point Smiley

have u checked that the ICF doesnt turn on :S
N/A

Do you lads ever sleep?

I tried plugging and unplugging while switched on since you replied that it was ok to do so and it worked.
I'll put it down to operator error until it happens again.

Thanks for your help.
I've a feeling I'll be needing it again on a frequent basis - so much to learn!

Trevor

PS: I've no idea what an ICF is!!
N/A

its the XP lame firewall *its crap* it may have just activated randomly , as it some times does and nocked out ur modem.. well im glad u got it all working again....and sleep.. of course we dont sleep we have always on internet.. so we have always on-line activity .. duh :p
N/A

Is your machine actually sensing your modem, or is it that you cannot connect.

If your machine is not sensing your modem, what have you done or changed since you were last connected? If nothing, try uninstalling the modem and re-installing the modem. This might solve your problem.

As far as I was aware windows XP firewall doesn't block any outgoing connections, only incoming. Hence why it's coming under flak because it doesn't stop spyware, trojans etc.