Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help a computer illiterate

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hello

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 and i only have a 40 gig hard disk which is constantly getting near full capacity and i keep having to delete stuff so it will run at something near a normal speed (whatever that may be )

My question is i want to add a much bigger hard disk say 250 gig
Is this possible and if so how easy is it to install,i know i cant just plug it in but in idiot proof language how do i do it.

I get the bit about using an available slot with a power connection but its the bit after its fitted that i am unsure of.

Can i transfer everything to this disk or run it along side my 40 gig disk...Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks
6 REPLIES
jagger
Grafter

Hi Crownfield,

Easiest for you (or other non techy folk) would be to drop a few quid on a USB external hard drive from somewhere like PC World.
Something like this one here

You could get a new internal drive cheaper and either use it as extra storage or clone your current operating system over to it.Most drives have a tutorial on how to do that on their manufacturers site.

Personally,with an old computer like that, I'd go for the external drive which can be used on the next computer you get.
Community Veteran

Another option is to take the PC to a local PC shop (ring/enquire first) and they should be able to fit a new drive for you. They may offer a copy service from old to new but this is less likely. There will be a charge for this + the cost of the disk, which may be more expensive that buying it yourself. Some PC word stores have a section that can do this while you wait or next day.

If you want a quick solution do as suggested above and buy an external USB drive. 250->300GB should be about £70 then copy all your main data to that leaving room on the C drive for Windows to use.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your replies but i suppose i should think about upgrading my whole machine as it is quite old as you say i suppose it hadnt occured to me how old my machine was....Many Thanks
Community Veteran

jagger
Grafter

If your computer still does what you want it to and is just running out of space I wouldn't bother.

The only real reason to upgrade to a new computer is if you need the extra functionality that is offered,or as a fashion statement of course.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Yes thanks for the advice the 500 gig external from Maplin looks good i may go for that...Thanks