cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pioneer DVD Writer (Bare Drive)

N/A

Hi all,
Just got a Pioneer 105 and burnt first DVD home video successfully. Only thing is, a half gigabyte mpg file takes up to 2.2 gigabyte of a .4.7 DVD. When burnt to a CDR it's still the same half gig size. Burnt with Neostandard software that comes with Avermedia capture card. Is it me missing out something? Should I use Nero instead to burn to DVD? Any help appreciated. Smiley

FKarno
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It's because the Mpeg file is being decompressed into a format that a standard DVD player (such as the ones you use with your TV) can understand.

Thomas
N/A

DVD isn't concerned about filesize, but about quality.

To store a movie on a CD, you have to compress it, and play it back at a low bit/s.

This amounts to quality loss, and the size (pixels along width and height) of the image.

With DVD, there are only bits/s settings, both of these present high quality, and big sized images. The bits/s settings in DVD, make for large file usage.

With CD, its about getting the file small enough, without quality loss, with DVD, it is just about burning it.

You can however, burn to DVD as a file, keeping that file size down, however, it wouldn't be played in the DVD drive.
N/A

Re: Pioneer DVD Writer (Bare Drive)

Hi all,
Just got a Pioneer 105 and burnt first DVD home video successfully. Only thing is, a half gigabyte mpg file takes up to 2.2 gigabyte of a .4.7 DVD. When burnt to a CDR it's still the same half gig size. Burnt with Neostandard software that comes with Avermedia capture card. Is it me missing out something? Should I use Nero instead to burn to DVD? Any help appreciated. Smiley

FKarno

Is the original file MPEG-1 or MPEG-2? It sounds like something is re-coding the file at a higher bit-rate or as a raw stream, prior to burning it.

Have a read through the tutorials at http://www.dvdrhelp.com for guides on authoring and http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools for software.
N/A

Whee! Forum turned up trumps again! Cheesy

Thanks Kuglin, Acarr & Gjsweeney all helpful and useful replies.!
Luckily I've got a multi-format DVD player so that helps if I want to burn lots of files to a DVD, just got to read up more and find how to shrink home-made ones like commercial ones for space maximisation, so I can pass copies onto family who still have standard DVD players.

FKarno