Phat Linux

N/A

Phat Linux

Has anyone used this software? ...

cheers.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Phat Linux

I havn't tried Phat Linux, but if you want a bootable Linux system that will allow you to fiddle with your FAT drives without any possibility of a virus or malware getting out, try Knoppix Linux or Suse Linux Live Eval. Both run off a bootable CDrom
N/A

Phat Linux

i've used knoppix - awsome software. u can even install it to your hd if you like it (this is what i've done for my desktop). otherwise, i've got a linux box running Red Hat 9
N/A

Phat Linux

Thanks, Will knoppix work ok off a NTFS drive? Think i might build another cheap PC just for linux.
N/A

Phat Linux

As I said, Knoppix is intended to run directly off a bootable CD. If you do run off a Hard Drive it will need to be in a Linux formatted partition.
Do you want to run a Linux boot as a recovery system or as a standalone system?? I guessed you were looking at Phat Linux because it will coexist on the same partition as windows (FAT or FAT32, not sure about NTFS).
N/A

Phat Linux

Do you want to run a Linux boot as a recovery system or as a standalone system?? I guessed you were looking at Phat Linux because it will coexist on the same partition as windows.

Yes i am after linux for a standalone system. I was looking at Phat to learn a bit of linux before building a seperate system for it.
N/A

Phat Linux

In that case, go for Mandrake or Redhat Linux, both are free but do ask for contributions. You will need either another PC or if you install Linux to your secondary master HD, the Linux boot manager will allow you choose which drive to boot (mandrake is good at this).

Mandrake = http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/
ISO files for burning to CD by FTP = ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/mandrake/iso/

Redhat = www.redhat.com
ISO files for burning to CD by FTP = ftp://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/

Footnote: If you do install to another drive on your PC, make SURE you choose the right drive to install to. If you are unsure, disconnect any other HD in your system, as the Linux device recognition does not show FAT volume labels.
N/A

Phat Linux

I highly recommend Red Hat 9. Good luck.
shellsong
Grafter

Phat Linux

IF you want to go down the RedHat route don't download RedHat linux. Download Fedora. Redhat are stopping support for RedHat 9 and in a few months the servers for it's up2date service will be taken offline. Fedora is the continuation RedHat's desktop linux package (though without the possibility for commercial support).