cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pendive problem please help

N/A

Hi
I was using my pendrive (Lexar Jumpdrive Secure 256MB) a couple of days ago, yet now when i try to use it it shows up on device manager but not on My computer. I am unable to access vital coursework related files, the deadline of which is on Friday. How can I access my files? What software should I use?

Thanking you in advance
James Randell
6 REPLIES
N/A

have you checked that you have not moved that little lock button on the side of the p en drive to the "locked" status (like on a floppy disk)
N/A

As far as I am aware the lock only makes all the files read-only much like the lock a floppy disk. It shouldnt make it stop showing it in windows although it could be possible.

If the above doesnt work:

Try changing which USB port you are using. This often happens with mice, they lose connectivity on one port but when placed into another slot they work again.

If you have only 1 USB port, try putting the USB Pen in and then going to device manager as you mentioned. This time select the Pen drive, right-click and select unistall. After you have done this remove the stick and reboot your PC. Once its loaded up again slot in the Pen Drive and it should start working again.

If all else fails try another persons computer. If you find that it still doesnt work it you may have corrupted it and it will require a format. This means losing everything on the disk. All though this is highly unlikely, one of the above mentioned should work and you will be able to access your data again.

Keep us posted on what happens, good luck!
N/A

The pendrive doesnt have a lock button on it (that I know of).
Ive tryed it out on about 15 computers at my school and home, all of which dont work.
Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the pendrive lots of times ive even tryed uninstalling the usb port and reinstalling it.
I cannot even get the pendrive to show in "My Computer" let alone format it.

Any more sugestions?

Thanks for your help
James
shellsong
Grafter

Oh dear! My commiserations! It makes a bit of a change from "the dog ate my homework!" doesn't it?

Seriously though, do you have no other medium with even a partial backup or were you relying totally on one USB stick?

Also have you tried using a MAC or a Linux based machine in case it's a Windows problem?
N/A

Yeah its definately better than all my other excuses put together.

Ive got a tiny bit of work saved on a school computer but other than that nothing.

I dont have any other machines, but ill try and find a linux machine and see if that fixes it.

Thanks again
James
N/A

I have just found this if it if any use:
2nd post down.
Link

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Shortened url as it was stretching the page badly]