cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer to peer - Freezing issue

N/A

Hi all,

I have a repeating problem with my PC. Every time I use a piece of peer to peer software (Mirc, Limewire, edonkey etc etc) my PC begins to freeze. this is not for Warez downloading before anyone asks.

On Mirc, I am trying to download a video clip from my brother in the USA. Everytime I connect and being to download my processor "spikes" and the system freezes up for about 30 secs, then it will work fine for about 10 secs, before peaking again and so on. this happens when I download from different people and even if I shut the software down, I have to shut/reset the PC for the problem to clear.

This processor spike is causing the download to abort and I struggle to shut the computer down. I have tried a complete format and reinstall of Win XP Pro including SP2 and have run spyware and full Antivirus,

AMD Athlon 2.8GHZ
1gb Ram
Nvidia 128mb GC

I have not changed anything in my PC lately.

If anyone can help, I would be so grateful.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Before you download start taskmanger and watch what is causing the spikes. If you can identify the software we may be able to help. It often AV as its scanning incoming and outgoing files and if they are zipped that will do it.
N/A

I disabled my AV software and it lasted a longer time without the problem.

Curious thing is that even though my processor spikes to 100%, there is nothing in task manager that shows any processes using the processor?Huh
Community Veteran

I disabled my AV software and it lasted a longer time without the problem.

Curious thing is that even though my processor spikes to 100%, there is nothing in task manager that shows any processes using the processor?Huh

I'd check again if I were you. There must be a process using the cpu.

BTW are you using a user account in xp? If so, try again using the admin account to see if the problem repeats or not please.
I had a similar problem after installing some antispyware proggy. It was fine in the admin account but had the user account all messed up for minutes at a time with cpu at 100% usage.
N/A

What Inti Spyware program caused this problem for you?
MarkAngel
Grafter

Are you using Sophos AV by any chanceHuh I use Sophos at work can find it can be a real B*stard when transfering files, shutting the AV off cures it, but before I do, it goes to a real grind! Especially if copying Compressed files (Zips Etc), or if copying to a directory that already contains zips as I think it likes to give them a scan..just for good measure Smiley

I suggest leaving your Tasklist running on the screen so you can see if any process seems to go haywire...then take it from there...

Good luck

Mark