cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer 2 Peer

N/A

Peer 2 Peer

I recently installed two wireless LAN USB devices for peer 2 peer communication between a PC W98SE (host) and PC XP, The Wireless devices are communicating as seen on the activity monitoring, however I can't see the other computer and vice versa. I cannot access the broadband conncetion from the other PC. Has anybody done this? Plusnet support are saying this is not possible on two different operating systems, but I am not sure that is accurate.
5 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

Peer 2 Peer

You have not said how you have broadband installed - Router to Pc or USB/PCI card in one PC.
Community Veteran

Peer 2 Peer

Also what firewall software are you running, what versions they are and where they are installed.
N/A

Peer 2 Peer

If your XP machine is the one connected to the net have you tried running the network config wizard? It allows you to make a floppy (or use the XP CD) on the 98 machine to set it all up for you, then all you have to do is make sure your firewall isn't blocking the 98 machine.
N/A

Peer 2 Peer

Thanks for the replies.

The connection to broadband is via a USB ADSL modem on the WIn 98 machine (host). I have run the wizards, set files (and drives) to share. When I check My Newtork Places (XP) or Newtork Neighbourhood (9Cool on Mshome workgroup the only computer seen is the one I am on at the time.

I am not aware of any firewalls being installed on either machine, how would I check? The XP machine is running SP1.

I made a floppy on the W98 machine, but XP pop up error ("Need W95 or W98 to run this" comes up. Tried it the other way round and no difference, i.e. make floppy on XP machine, it ran in the W98 machine but still couldn't see the shared files/drives.

I am setting up a Peer2Peer so no router used.

Hopefully it answered all the questions on the replies.

Thanks for your help!

Colin
N/A

Peer 2 Peer

First off both pc need to be in the same workgroup MShome is the default for xp and workgroup for 98. Change xp to workgroup.
On the 98 pc set up tcip as follows ip 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the dns to plusnets dns servers. if netbui is installed remove it.

On the xp pc set the ip to 10.0.0.1 subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 10.0.0.2 again set the dns servers. reboot and to make things simple logon to both pc's with the same username and password. Make sure you share a directory and try again. If its not working try pinging the other pc ie ping 10.0.0.1 and see if you get a reply. also try a tracert to www.plus.net and a ipconfig /all on xp and a winipcfg on 98 post these so we can see whats happening