cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc rebooting itself

N/A

Pc rebooting itself

In the last week my computer has twice rebooted itself while unattended, this has never happened before, can anyone offer an explanation please?
If I have a mains failure, not uknown here out in the sticks, the machine simply switches off and needs to be switched back on again.
TIA
6 REPLIES
N/A

Pc rebooting itself

It would be useful to have some more information, for example, depending on your O/S info from the system and application logs at teh time of the reboot; any services reporting errors; any popups.

There can be many reasons for this behaviour. For example, services under WIndows can be set to Restart the computer if they fail for any reason. Bugs can cause this behaviour. I have experienced machines et to auto install updates restsrt without user interevntion.

HTH and good luck
N/A

Pc rebooting itself

It's also worth scanning your machine for viruses and spyware.
N/A

Pc rebooting itself

Thanks for your replies. I have a router firewall, sygate firewall and NOD32 antivirus running at all times. In addition I frequently (and recently) scan with Spybot, AdaWare and NoAdware, no problems found.
The only thing that I've done recently is put on the latest Microsoft XP updates. I have not looked at the system and application logs at the time, not sure if I have the expertise. Shockedops:

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Accidental double post removed]
N/A

Pc rebooting itself

Check device manager within Control Panel, to see if you've got any conflicts between hardware
N/A

Pc rebooting itself

Have you got 'automatically restart on BSOD' still on? The reason Microsoft boasted so much that you don't see a BSOD in XP is because instead of showing it, Windows restarts your PC straight away!

If it is a BSOD causing the restarts, seeing what it says can help immensly, to turn off automatic restarts go into the control panel and click System, go to the Advanced tab and click Settings in the Startup and Recovery box. In there uncheck "Automatically Restart" and OK your way out of it all.
N/A

Pc rebooting itself

I'd have a look at the Event Viewer (don't know about XP, but in Windows 2000, it's in the Control Panel->Administrative Tools) then look for events around about the time of a reboot to see if there are any clues. You might well see an Error event or something that'll explain what happened.

Things that might cause an unattended reboot:

a) CPU monitoring software that looks for overheating and automatically shuts down if your CPU gets too hot
b) Spyware/adware/virues
c) Reboot on BSOD (see above)