cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc loads really slow at the start??

N/A

Just notiched over the past few weeks my pc is loading really slow at the start. It aint got any virus or anything. virus protection scan aint picked out up. Adaware dont find owt. I think its the hard drive. I have two hardrives, one 60 gig one which is 3 or 4 years old know. And a 120 gig one which is under 1 year. Could it be that the 60 gig one is dieing ( thats the one with windows on ) and i need to transfer windows on to the bigger drive.

Thanks guys for any help
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi.
Hmm, it is possible the hard drive is failing from over use, but this isnt to be expected after 3 years. Its more likely to start making clicking noises and then die than to just become slower .Try this program first (What's Running 2.1). It'll tell you what runs on startup, amonst other information, and allow you to disable them.
Chances are if youve had Windows installed for a long time it'll have accumulated various things to do at startup from various software, some of which you probably dont even have installed anymore, but it can still load associated programs or .dll's on startup.
Failing that, transferring windows to the bigger, newer dirve wouldnt hurt. It would also clear out all the accumulated junk windows associates with. It may be quite difficult to do it without loosing important files. I recommend transferring important stuff to your 60gb whilst you install.
Tip: Little tip i find useful with big drives. Use the partition tool on install to divide the drive into 2. That way you can keep on half of the drive safe from erasure if you need to format in the future, but in the meantime still have access to all 120gb!
N/A

The problem could be that your disks are running in MS-DOS Compatibility Mode. Check device manager to find out.

If this is the case, google for solutions or see http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/mscompat2.html for some ideas.
MarkAngel
Grafter

(Hope you are running XP or at the very least 2K)

Just as a simple housekeeping exercise, run Disk Cleanup (from System Tools), let it clean up all the files it finds.

Remove your paging file, reboot and Defrag the Disk, set pagefile back and reboot pc.

Depending on how much RAM you have I would suggest setting a manual pagefile size, (more Ram = Less Pagefile size (dont ever set it to 0))

See if that makes a dent as a quick exercise.

M
N/A

My pc specs are pretty good.

3200 amd 64 processor
1gig of cruical ram
ati graphics chip
180 gig hard drives ( have a 120 and a 60 )

Cheers for the advice
N/A

and the os isHuh (Sorry if you've said - may have missed it)
N/A

Windows xp pro