cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pc killed by PSU

N/A

Pc killed by PSU

Hi all,

Hope you can help, I have had a conversation with a customer at work where they have a pc that has died and on speaking to compaq they were advised that the psu had probably gone( Insurance claim). I have advsied that if this was the case the psu could well have taken the mobo and possibly other components with it (meaning claim not cvr as mechanical braekdown).Customer claims that compaq have told them that this is impossible and claim what I have told them is a lie.I have never experienced a psu failure(touch wood) but have read many times that it is the cause of major failure.
So is this guy at compaq who like myself is just making a judgment over the phone correct?

I am asking this question no for official purpose but my own satisfaction of knowing wether i am correct or not.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Pc killed by PSU

Yes, a PSU can fail and damage the processor and/or motherboard. I have had one occur myself and I am aware of several others. This is more likely from the cheaper end of the PSU market where overload protection is not as good (or as quick) but even the good models can have catastrophic failures and cause damage. I have also had several PSU failures which did not damage other components.

So while the compaq engineer may think it can't happen to their equipment it is possible and the claim that it cannot happen is false. I suspect he is just not experienced enough to have seen or been told about such occurances.
N/A

Pc killed by PSU

You say insurance claim, however, are you sure it isn't a warrentee claim that is needed?

If the components have gone, and it is a warrentee claim, then let Compaq say there thing. Although it will take longer, a second claim can always go in.

If it is an insurance claim, speak to the insurance company, and ask for authorisation for an outside engineer to look at it. When they say yes (you may have to pay, but it should only be somthing like £12 - £25 for a lookup), do so.

The engineer should bench test the components and tell you exacly what needs to be claimed against.
N/A

Pc killed by PSU

I most probably have not been very clear. Shockedops:

The pc is old(333 mhz 4.3gbhdd).

I actually work for the insurance company and the pc was inspected by our own engineers(always do this).

needless to say that on inspection boot log shows pc was used two weeks after registering claim(couldn't get hold of customer to arrange pc collection)
N/A

Pc killed by PSU

It is several years since I worked on PCs (ICL), and I repaired many with faulty PSUs, and I have to say I cannot remember any that had any faults after the PSU was replaced. Smiley
N/A

Pc killed by PSU

After inspection the Pc was found to be full of water. this is really the clever bit as it had blown all major components except hdd, but as i said earlier the customer carried on using pc for anothe two weeks after calling us and stating that the pc just failed on start up.This is the point at which i had the conversation about compaq and their analogy that the psu had gone. Thus me telling the customer that the pc was not covered under insurance.The story then change which is why like always we inspected it. Wink

James
N/A

Pc killed by PSU

I hate insurance companies.
N/A

Pc killed by PSU

Point being?

It's a job.