cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passwords

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Passwords

Does anybody know how to delete unnecessary passwords, for instance those that are wrong or no longer used that I've ticked the save box for and shouldn't have done.

For instance I've got quite a few in the Plusnet logon that I'd like to delete
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Passwords

Assuming you mean the AutoComplete feature of Internet Explorer.....

If you click on the box where it's remembered your details from before, and then proceed to type in the stored details (i.e. your login name etc) when the drop down box appears suggesting the word(s), rather than pressing enter on it to select it, press the delete button and those details will be removed.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Community Veteran

Passwords

Ok I'll come clean...

I'm only concerned about those passwords that come up when I access Plus on my work office PC.

I'm leaving this employer in the next few weeks, and I'd like to make sure I leave no traces.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Passwords

Tools | Internet Options | Content | Autocomplete | Clear Passwords , Clear Forms

Smiley
Community Veteran

Passwords

Thank's Zebbedi,

I'd been in that area before a long time ago, but never really taken much notice of it.

You might be interested to know that clicking the "delete cookies" button in "internet options" is not as efficient as you might think.

Out of idle curiosity I "searched" for cookies, and came up with 9 folders (on my office PC) all called "cookies" several of which contained "incriminating evidence" even after the delete cookies button was pressed.

You have been warned!!

N/A

Passwords

If your works PC is part of a controlled network, there can be copies of cookies made in "administrators", "Network Controllers" and/or security folders. When you, as a normal user, deletes cookies and internet history you only delete those in your profile folder. The Admin can still look in the "copies" and see what you've done and where you've been.
Most companies with reasonable IT depts do this as security and employment contract control (no playing on-line games when you should be working).
N/A

Passwords

Some cookies get set by scripts and other such languages and are kind of unofficial cookies. They end up getting thrown in the wrong place.

You can clear these out usually by doing a "Delete Files..." and then making sure the "Delete All Offline Content" is ticked. This of course is accessed from Tools | Internet Options | General tab.
N/A

Passwords

Oh, btw, if you really wanna hide your tracks, and dependant on which version of IE you use, you may want to scrub out the mm256.dat and mm2048.dat or index.dat files.

They have the job of ooooooh storing a list of every single website that pc has ever visited. Nice n handy too that microsoft made them so theyre protected system files. Youll probably have to delete them from dos.

http://www.woodmann.com/fravia/mmstory.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q178702
Community Veteran

Passwords

Dont forget though, as said above information can be stored elsewhere by the domain admins. Also if they use any type of proxy server they probably store information there too.

In the company I work for we keep details of every URL visited and then they can be checked and blocked on the proxy if people are visiting naughty sites. Not a problem for me though, I maintain it Smiley

Chris