cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partitioning

N/A

Partitioning

Hi All

I have installed Suse Linux in its own partitions on a bigger hard drive.So now I wish to remove it from the disc it was originallyinstalled to.Running Widows Explorer shows no trace of it,so I assume the only way to remove it is to remove the partions.Running FDIK shows I have 3 partitions

C:1 status A Pri Dos
2 Non- Dos
3 Non-Dos

I assume the 2 Non-Dos partitionss are where Linux resides

So am I correct in thinking that if I run Fdisc from mu Widows boot floopy I have to remove all three partitions and remake the Pri-Dos partition,with what I hope is an option to use the whole disc? I know something like partition Magic would mke the job a breeze,but as I anticipate this being a one-off,cannot justify the expense,unless somewhere there is a trial version of something similar

Ian & Linda Jordan
6 REPLIES
N/A

Partitioning

If you are already able to boot into windows there is no need to touch pri-dos.

All you need todo is disk the two non-dos partitons, and format them with what ever file system. FAT32 for windows 9x systems and FAT32 or NTFS for 2000 and XP.

IF you need your suse instalation to be able to write to either of these partitions, then make one of them FAT32, linux can only read NTFS.
N/A

Partitioning

IF you need your suse instalation to be able to write to either of these partitions, then make one of them FAT32, linux can only read NTFS.

Thanks for the feedbank,but my intention is to revert back to a non-partitioned drive as it was before "Suse" did it's thing on the drive and neatly partitioned it up.I just wanted to make sure that I had the theory right before I did anything that was non reversable.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Partitioning

yes you need to remove all none dos partitions.

try
http://www.ranish.com/part/

this is a freeware partition magic type of software and its worth trying tosave reinstaling
N/A

Partitioning

yes you need to remove all none dos partitions.
try
http://www.ranish.com/part/
this is a freeware partition magic type of software and its worth trying tosave reinstaling

Thanks for the URL,I did download it but was too afraid to touch anything in it Cheesy

However I still have abit of a mystery.Using Fdisk I deleted the primary Dos partition and created a new one using the "use maximum space" option,and upon completion it showed 8056Mbytes which is about right for the size of the hard drive.But in windows under "desktop/proprties" for that particular drive it only shows capacity as being 3.30GB......... where is the missing space or what have I forgotten to do.The operating system at the moment is Win98;or will the missing MB's reappear when I install the Win98se upgrade.I have written now to save having to re-install too much if I have to Fdisk again.Any it's good practise Smiley

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Partitioning

It sounds as though you didnt delete the non dos partions there should be no partion left of any sort and then create a new primary fat32

If you use the partioning software you have nothing to loose. Linus uses its own partion and another for the swap file. A lot of the partioning software gives you a visual picture of the drive which is clearer.

Us Fdisk again and view the partions you should only have the one.

Note some old fdisk dont show none dos partions.
N/A

Partitioning

Try Partition Magic 8