cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition

jabb0
Grafter

Partition

(if ur in a rush skip to the bottom question, the most of this is just me rambling on)

hey guys,

I am going to do a fresh install of ubuntu, mainly cos i have been on a steep learning curve and i have got to a stage where i have got just about everything i need working like i need it to.

But in the process i have added a hell of a lot of packages and libraries and stuff - and for the most part i was saying to myself - "I wish i knew what i was installing" -

Now i know everything i need to do, and it is a real hassle having to backup about 15gigs worth of personal data - so i want to set things up like i had back in windoze, that is, a partition for my data, and a partition of the OS - which means if i need to change the OS or i completely mess it up i can reformat and start again and still have my data untuoched.

now back in the old win98 days you could start DOS and use Fdisk - i am having difficulty in finding something similar - does *nix have something i could use to do the job - actually there is nothing stopping me from diggin out the old Win98 disk and using fdisk to do the job, so i think that is sorted.

Now the tricky bit - how can i get my /home dir to sit on a different partition?
2 REPLIES
N/A

Partition

You can get partion Magic or Acronis partion software to move creeate partions etc or a free one from

http://visopsys.org/partlogic/download.html

with these you wont loose your data
jabb0
Grafter

Partition

Cheers,

Exactly what i was lookin for, this will come in real handy.

Prolly sensible to backup my data all the same, but at least i will not have to go through the pain of copying it back to my hard drive if all goes well.

I have heard rumours of DVD's with a capacity of 32Gig - but aparently they (whoever they are) will not mass produce them for fear of piracy increasing. It would make alot of peoples lives easier if
a) this were true (as i said, i heard it as a rumour, can anyone confirm?)
b) if they bit the bullet and just made the ruddy things available