cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition Utilities? Help?

N/A

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a GOOD (tried and tested) utility which will let me re-size an NTFS partition?

I have Windoze XP on a laptop (preconfigured) as one large NTFS partition. I have space and would like to shrink the NTFS partition to install Linux on the same machine. I really DON'T want to mess up the XP side of things.

I have an old copy of Partition Magic which claims I can convert to FAT 32 (which I could then shrink) then (maybe) convert back? All sounds HIGHLY dodgy to me. Has anyone actually done this?

As an aside, the laptop is 18 months old. I de-fragged it last night and it's made all the difference in the world in terms of speed. Considering NTFS is Bill's "finest" offering and has been around for years this seems pretty crap. Biggest culprit for fragmentation appears to be files created and written by Kazza. Another reason for Linux... no fragmentation issues. Cheesy

Any help (based on experience) gratefully received.

Thanx. Spenser
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Well, according to the Windows help system, you can't convert an NTFS volume back to FAT.

Anyway, no need for partitioning utilities... I can tell you for certain that Mandrake comes with one in the installer (which is actually very good), so I'd imagine other Linux distros do as well.

Thomas
N/A

Thanx Thomas,

My SuSe installer on CD will cope with most things and is a breeze to use... but this request flumoxed it... said I couldn't re-size, only delete.... (tee hee, maybe it thought NTFS was a virus Cheesy )

Can you point me in the direction of the Mandrake util... guessing I can put it on a bootable floppy or CD?

Cheers... Cheesy
Community Veteran

It's not a seperate utility... it's part of the installer. So you'll have to install Mandrake if you want to use it I'm afraid.

Thomas
N/A

Ok... here's the scenario... Mandrake install CD... (where can I get an image?)... run install, shrink NT, abort and install SuSE on free space. Haven't played with Mandrake at all but I'm getting to grips with SuSE (STILL haven't found wher it keeps all the X start-up stuff)... good case for me sticking with what I know... at least partly. Cheers Cheesy
N/A

You can download Mandrake from mirror.ac.uk.

Alternativly, I have a growing cellar full of linux, which I sell.

Mandrake 9.1 - 3 disk - £4 + P&P
Mandrake 9.2 Beta2 - 3 disk - £4 + P&P
N/A

You could use a newer version PartionMagic. Version 8 can resize NTFS.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Comments about illegally obtaining software have been removed from this post. Please refer to the PM I will be sending you.]
N/A

Thanx guys... I'm gonna try Partition Magic... backup first, though.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Comments about illegal acquisition of software have been removed.]
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Did Partition Magic V8 work?

I used PM v7 to try to shrink my 20GB Win XPpartition down to 10GB. It got to 98% complete and then failed with a CRC Check. Result was a trashed partition.

It would be interesting to know if V8 works.

p.s. Norton Ghost (2003) does not successfully clone WinXP disks. The clone fails to authenticate the validity of the licence.
N/A

PM 8 does the partions ok and ghost will create images no problem. System Commander is another good one and that gives you a boot manager so you can load 100 o/S.

What throws people and causes problems is windows dirt bit. Its a simple idea but when windows starts it writes to the drive a code to say it dirty. When you shut down it clears that bit and makes it a clean drive again. Thats how it knows to run scandisk if it was shut down wrong.

The problem is PM and Ghost throw a wobbler when they find this bit is set soif you havent shut down clean it spells problems.

Both PM and System commander can change ntfs to fat32 and it works well but it does complain on any dir with permisions set.

PM back to version 5 will work and the clever bit is version 5 will work on a server later version wont as they tell you to buy server magic which is 10 times the price.

A good tutor on resizing and details of some free tools is here

http://www.activeservice.co.uk/power/partitions/page1.htm
N/A

Re: Partition Utilities? Help?

Another reason for Linux... no fragmentation issues. Cheesy

How so?