cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition Recovery Help Required

N/A

I have a standard windows XP SP 1 set up on a main NTFS drive.
I also have two drives (80 GB) connected to a standard PCI Raid card and somehow either through a virus or otherwise Shockedops: they appear to have had their partition tables removed (I am presuming this) so they do not show up in XP. Either drive has 80GB worth of info on them within multiple partitions that I am hoping is still intact. Is there a nice DOS / GUI based product out there or even maybe a set of commands someone knows that can reconstruct the parttiton tables of the two drives to their former glory.
Many thanks,
Jim
10 REPLIES
N/A

Is the RAID a PCI card?

If so, are the drivers for the card still functioning?

It may be possible that the cards drivers are not function, which is causing the drives not to apear.
N/A

As above, a PCI Raid card, the drivers are functioning fine, they appear just after POST, the drives are detected fine, but are not listed within XP itself (i.e the PAT has been erased). They can be located within Partition Magic (vers 7) but appear unformatted with no partitons present.
N/A

You can try a repair of the MBR for the drive. The MBR contains partition information and is generally what virii attack first.
I think you can do it through Recovery Console (If you've installed it), but I have not done it myself.
Community Veteran

I don't know about whether the Recovery Console does repair the MBR, but I just thought I'd mention that you can get to the console by booting from the Windows XP CD-ROM, which you may (or may not) find easier than installing it.

Thomas
N/A

You need a pro tool like acronis revovery

http://www.acronis.com/

Idealy you need to ghost the drive first so you have more than one go at it. You could use a diskeditor if you know what you are doing. If you have another drive the same you can copy the parameters from that.

You can replace the MBR with fdisk /mbr(that wont delete anything).

The bois looks for the MBR on boot up and if its not there(it normaly isnt its used by tools like system commander to load somthing before the boot sector) then it load the boot sector.

There are several other tools that you can use remove the drives if you are still using the pc as if anything is written to the disk it will reduce your chance of recovery
N/A

thanks people, do the PAT tables then exist on the seperate drives themselves (in order to correct them) or are they part of the MBR itself that exists on the primary C: (Win XP) drive (in order to use the fixmbr command)?Huh
N/A

Each drive has its own MBR Boot record and partiton info
N/A

So do you think it is better to recover the files on each drive rather than fix the individual mbr's/boot sector on each drive??
I was going to give disk patch a try?Huh
Community Veteran

If it's possible to recover the files in it's present state then I would do so, then try to fix the disk. That way you know your files are safe if you make a mistake and lose the partitions.

i.e. backup your data before trying to fix the problem.
N/A

I finally managed to solve the problem using the DiskPatch software. This is a great set of harddisc set of tools and are fairly easy to use. It even has a techy edition version for more detailed corrections. It was fairly easy, pop the software onto a floppy, boot up, fire up the software, set the disc you want to examine/fix, fix the mbr boot and the partition tables as outlined in the instructions. You can exmaine the partition/boot records in detail and even back them up was corrected. Top piece of software. Anyone with similar problems can check it out at:

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/

thanks again everyone....