cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POP3 Emails

Brickinit
Grafter

POP3 Emails

i have had a domain hosted with plusnet for nearly 2 years now, that i use for emails, i kept it clean up until about 3 months ago when someone sent me a FREE greetings card. anyway you can guess the rest hundreds of spam. i have now purchased another domain name that i have hosted on plusnet but when i set up an email account in Outlook for it, it collects mail from all my accounts, eg me@domain.plus.com or me@domain.co.uk or me@do-main.co.uk. can i just collect the me@do-mail.co.uk? as it appears i have to put in my plusnet user name and password for any of the accounts so i can't seem to filter out me@domain.co.uk. although i would still like to chech it for a while periodically to chech thoughs that need to are using the right address.
6 REPLIES
N/A

POP3 Emails

If you have several domains then any mailbox with the same name will collect all the emails for all domains with that mailbox name. If you dont want to get mail for one domain all you can do is delete the mail box me from that domain or forward it to somewhere else. If its the default mailbox its more of a problem. I had had it before I was getting 15000 mails per hour.

You could filter all mail addressed to me@myspameddomain.com to the bin in most email clients.
Community Veteran

POP3 Emails

PlusNet does not support separate domain mailboxes. Any mailboxes with the same name will always go to your plusnet mailbox with the same name.
Brickinit
Grafter

POP3 Emails

thanks for the replies seems i may have wasted my time getting another domain then
Denzil
Grafter

POP3 Emails

N/A

POP3 Emails

may have wasted my time getting another domain then

No, not really.

I don't know if you mean a second domain, or this first one, by 'another', but either way, here goes:

All you need to do now is to split off the one getting the spam from your PlusNet account. It depends on how (and with whom) you registered it as to how easy/expensive it is to transfer, but there are some cheap/free hosting services around, and you could then have a default to ban mail to any unwanted names.

For example, say you wanted to accept mail to john@, jill@ and jane@domain (oh, and postmaster of course) then you could use POP mailboxes for them, or forward just those names to an address at PlusNet (or Hotmail, or anywhere you want) and force all other mail to be denied. That way, if spammers used alex123@, anna456@ and a thousand other variations, you would not get the bounces from the spammer sending junk mail.

If you're really stuck, I have reseller accounts with a few hosting firms, and could set you up for free to have the domain hosted (minimal webspace - you could make pages point to your PlusNet webspace). I've just last week paid for a year's hosting so there's no chance of me asking for cash

You'd need to arrange to transfer your domain off PN (so you could change the DNS entries) then you could use ZoneEdit to hold the DNS info and point the web and mail links to an IP. I'd help you set it up, no problem on that score. Smiley
Brickinit
Grafter

POP3 Emails

sorry i've missed a couple of replys PN dosn't seem to inform you anymore when the thread gets a bit older. Denzil thanks for the link but that only seems to be relevent to the PN mail boxes.
goodvalueisp, what i have is a domain i have registered and host with PN this is the one with all the spam, it runs out in april so i will not be renewing it. obviously this is the the e-mail address i would like to lose and then carry on with the new one i have bought through someone else but host with plusnet. any ideas?