Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC running slowly

Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC running slowly

Painfully slow at times!

Running Sempron 1.66 GHz 224M of RAM.

My kids have downloaded software for i-pods and other bits.

Could there be programs running in the backgrund that slows the PC down? Or is there something else to look at?
18 REPLIES
N/A

PC running slowly

It could be anything Define Slow. Do you mean everything is slow or the interent is slow.

Download Startup cpl free from
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

This will show you the startup programes just untick them to turn them off it keeps the details so you can turn them back on by ticking them. Turn off everything you dont use and only keep the known progs. Look out for any that if you turn them off turn them selves back on as this would indicate a virus or spyware.

Check you pc for spyware and virus to make sure that isnt the problem. Is the hard drive going crazy or the cpu going to 100%? If the cpu is very high use taskmanger to see what software is taking all the power.

If the kids(god bless them) have download a lot of zip files the AV could be the problem as it scans zips everytime you go near them and its a slow proccess

Report back what you have found and we may be able to help more
zpeterk
Grafter

PC running slowly

You didn't say what os you were using?

If you are using 2k or xp it may be a lack of ram
Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC running slowly

Thanks for the replies folks.

Downloaded the file and turned off some of the start up programs and they have remained off Smiley . For Vius protection I have AVG and run a full scan and all OK. Also run Adaware on a regular basis (Last night last time) each time checking for updates.

The slow speed seems to be when switching between users and also if my kids have MSN opened. That really kills the PC.

I am running XP. So the comment about RAM may be a way to go. What would everybody recommend?
N/A

PC running slowly

I believe that I have read somewhere in the distant past that user swithching on Xp tends to degrade perfomance. Perhaps switching it off and having everyone log on or off may improve things. Just a thought. Cool
N/A

PC running slowly

Switching users leaves in effect 2 people logged on with 2 lots of progs running. So you need a resoanable speed pc and the more ram the better.

As ram is so cheap I would say a min is 512meg anything below that windows is struggling to have one user. If you can afford a gig of ram it will make a big differance
jagger
Grafter

PC running slowly

Well, a Sempron 2400 @1.66 is a slow cpu to start with.(ok,not a performance model then) so will never blister paint.

But 256 meg of memory is painfully slow with XP.512 is minimum for me.

But, what make of computer is it.Size of H/D,age,other specs?

And kids have a talent for this sort of thing :lol:
Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC running slowly

I must be honest folks. It was bought as a basic machine to do basic things. Can't remember who I purchased it from, but it was mail order and it was an own model. Hard disk is 40G of which only 6.5G has been used.

Don't know how much MSN will be a drain on things. Would it slow the machine down alot?

Memory seems to be the way to go. Had a look on Dabs. About £50 for 512M and £30 upwards for 256M. Does that seem reasonable. And does anyone use ebay for memory?
N/A

PC running slowly

Try www.ebuyer.co.uk

Or eBay.
N/A

PC running slowly

Are you sure the kids haven't downloaded block-checker?
It is a msn spread trojan style worm.
see http://www.jayloden.com/block-checker.htm where there is a removal tool.

Loads have been tempted by this one, my own included, and it could be slowing things down too.
Another quick scanner is Dr Web

Both should be downloaded to the desktop.

You haven't mentioned spybot, or Shredder

and perhaps a scan with "housecall" an online antivirus, spyware remover. (There are 2, one for virus and one for spyware. You should run both scans. )
Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC running slowly

OK. Shopping for memory.

What is the difference between DDR and SDR ?
Denzil
Grafter

PC running slowly

DDR = Double Data Rate. Found on all modern PCs. It means it can exchange data on both falling and rising edges of a clock pulse. If that doesn't mean anything, well its just faster. You can only fit DDR memory on a motherboard that is designed for it.

SDR is older type memory, but still available. As you don't have a manufacturer's name for the PC the easiest way to see what type you have is to take the side off the case of the PC (with PC switched off!) and look for a label on the memory card(s). If in doubt post here what the label says and someone can probably help.

You do need to get the same kind of memory that you have already to get the best results.
Alecto
Grafter

PC running slowly

Even easier, go to Crucial and click on System Scan.
That will identify the memory you've got and tell you what is compatible with it.
And if you choose to buy from Crucial, they'll guarantee compatibility.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC running slowly

Thanks for the link to Crucial.com.

Checked the memory and ordered 512MB of DDR from ebuyer. Smiley
Rourkefamily
Grafter

PC running slowly

Recieved the 512 MB this morning and just finished installing. Ran Crucial and recognised. Upto 768 MB and have notcied the difference already having just powered up.

Thanks for all the help. Cheesy