cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC problem

N/A

PC problem

My Wife has a Athalon 2500, I gig ram running Windows XP with service pack 2 on. We Installed a new mother board Abit KV7-W, and a Maxtor 60 gig Drive. Video card is a Generic Geforce 5200 card. She uses it mainly for Everquest. We have a couple of problems.

1 The machine hangs, screen goes blank and makes a noise bit like a Police Siren. Ctrl ALT Delete dont work, neither does the reboot key. To switch off, we have to pull the cord out of the back.

2 The machine reboots for no reason then gives the message 'Windows has recovered for serious Error. Then says it one of the Drivers. Checked the drivers and seem ok.

Any ideas
10 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

PC problem

To turn off a PC that hangs push & hold the off button for a few seconds.

Did you install your new hardrive with WinXP SP2 incorporated ? or did you add SP2 after ? & if so did you install it before you added all your other drivers
Alecto
Grafter

PC problem

Some motherboards will emit a siren sound if the RPMs of the heatsink fan fall below a preset value. Have a look and see if all the fans are going round while it's on.

Is the CPU fan plugged into the right place?

Or does the graphics card have a power plug you've not connected?
N/A

PC problem

To turn off a PC that hangs push & hold the off button for a few seconds.

Did you install your new hardrive with WinXP SP2 incorporated ? or did you add SP2 after ? & if so did you install it before you added all your other drivers

Tried pushing the button, no luck
N/A

PC problem

Some motherboards will emit a siren sound if the RPMs of the heatsink fan fall below a preset value. Have a look and see if all the fans are going round while it's on.

CPU is plugged in correctly. Graphics card is bog standard AGP, no power plug
MysteryFCM
Grafter

PC problem

If the problems started immediately after the new hardware was implemented, check to ensure all cables, cards and where appropriate, jumpers, are plugged in/connected and/or set correctly.

In addition, does the Device Manager show any red X's or yellow !'s?
N/A

PC problem

Did you re-install Windows XP then on the new 60GB drive or are you using this as storage?
N/A

PC problem

A real "Shot in the dark" because I have heard of sound card drivers causing conflicts/blue screens with Abit.
I found this
Both Creative and Aureal's driver occupy an IRQ for DOS emulation. This may cause conflict with another PCI device. We suggest manually reserve IRQ 5 for "legacy ISA" in BIOS "PnP/PCI configurations."

N/A

PC problem

This to me sounds the most plausable

When the happens start hitting either the F1 key or delete key (will come up on screen saving bios/system setup key to press)

Then check the section which will say something along the lines of pc health to find out what temperature is running at

Anything over 60 is usually bad (some systems can handle more - the cooler the better basically) (mine runs at 30 lol), it would also be worth seeing if the case is dusty inside, may need blowing out

May be worth investing in an internal fan and checking the connections of the old one

Also check bios fan settings as some have power saving modes, which you can disable to ensure its always on
N/A

PC problem

OK silly question but did you replace the thermal paste between the processor and the fan? You only need a very thin film but if you didn't, then what was there may have got damaged when placing the fan and processor onto the motherboard and could cause problems.
N/A

PC problem

Sounds like the processor is getting to hot. There is a setting in the bios which can be set to sound an audible alarm when the processor gets to a certain temperature. It can also be set to shut the pc down if it gets to high aswell. Boot up the pc and press del or f2 to enter bios/system setup and check the health status temperatures. If they seem ok shut the pc down, take the side of the case off and boot the pc to make sure the fans are working. Also try an anti-virus and spyware scan.