cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC keeps restarting

N/A

PC keeps restarting

i have 2 PC's and the secondary one for some reason keep's restarting itself when you turn it on(before you get to the Windows XP splash screen). Sometime's it does it once some times twice but last night it did it about 6 time's before it started up correctly, once it does start up it run's fine, no problem, so I just wondered what this could possibly be?

thanks you techie people Smiley
21 REPLIES
sexysir
Grafter

PC keeps restarting

If it was hardware, I would suspect the PSU or gfx card. However, I'd try to make sure it wasn't software before messing with the hardware testing.

Have you tried safemode, assuming it gets far enough?
N/A

PC keeps restarting

it seem's to get to the start up mode screen after it re-start's the 1st time...i may just try a complete re-format and see if that fixes the problem....
sexysir
Grafter

PC keeps restarting

That'll certainly rule out one or things. :lol:

Be sure and back-up everything. I had a problem with my system and did a re-format to find that it was actually the memory.

Problem was, in my haste to get a clean system I deleted over a thousand bookmarks from my faves. Forgot about that bit. :roll:
N/A

PC keeps restarting

the kids only use that pc so not much data to save on it.....
N/A

PC keeps restarting

You need to set it so it doesnt restart. Control panel system then adbvanced and startup recovery at the bottom then turn off automatic restart on error. This will stop it restarting so you may then see an error message that tells you what wrong.

Have you checked the event log to see if there is any error and then run scandisk to check the HD
N/A

PC keeps restarting

i'll try all that thankyou
N/A

PC keeps restarting

If you end up in a continuous rebooting loop (ie cannot get in to even safe mode). You may well have a corrupt registry. There are good instructions for recovering a corrupt registry if you google it.
N/A

PC keeps restarting

This sort of problem is usually a Motherboard or PSU. A re-format probably wouldnt solve it.
N/A

PC keeps restarting

Usually only a 'non driver' hardware problem if the pc doesn't POST. which I think in this case the pc does POST (Power On Self Test) then beeps. So lets not scare people saying its a hardware problem just yet eh
N/A

PC keeps restarting

Well after re-formatting it last week it didn't help one bit I disabled re-start on errors and i have now just got a blue splash screen with the following error:-

STOP:c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

what is this?
N/A

PC keeps restarting

Its memory related as far as I am aware. If you have two dimms of memory try removing one and see what happens, if it still happens try the other one.

Or run memtest86 to check the dimm(s);
http://www.memtest.org/
N/A

PC keeps restarting

A: What the heck are dimms...?
B: I don't like the look of the memtest can't make sense of any of it.....what does it download?

thanks anyway!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

PC keeps restarting

Direct Inline Memory Modules - your memory sticks
To use Memtest properly you need to create a boot disk and run it instead of windows.
You can either create a boot floppy or a boot CD
N/A

PC keeps restarting

I think I'll give that a miss a bit beyond me,I may do more harm than good.