cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC -> Minidisc

Community Veteran

PC -> Minidisc

Right,

Ive got a laptop and a minidisc player, the MD is pretty old and doesnt have a USB interface on it.

Ive noticed devices like this which convert USB -> optical as used by the minidisc.

Anyone had any experience of this or similar devices and know where I can get one?

Edit -
Forgot to add this is for the transfering of music from MP3 to minidisc (the player doesnt support MP3s).

Chris
7 REPLIES
N/A

PC -> Minidisc

That simply looks a like a USB soundcard, for pure digital.

You might consider THIS. A trust 5.1 sound card with this feature.

It maybe trust, but from what I can see, it is well worth a look, seeing how they build from OEM parts (most quality, some have been dodgey in the past). From what I can see, it looks to be a OEM creative chipset.

You may even be able to purchase a small addon card for your own soundcard, as many allready provide this feeature, just not nativly for lack of space.
Community Veteran

PC -> Minidisc

That looks pretty good as it appears to have ODO and ODI connections on it.
The thing is I use a laptop primarily so ideally i'd be looking for USB or PCMCIA connections, but it looks like a good starting point and if all else fails I can use my GF's computer.

Do you know what format minidiscs use? I guess they are similar to standard CD audio tracks and would probably require some similar software to CDex to transfer the format from MP3 -> MD format.

Chris
N/A

PC -> Minidisc

A, this digital link does not work in the way you think.

This type of link, is the digital equivilant of a RCA lead.

It doesn't handle fast transfer of data, and will accept it only at the rate of playback (1x speed).

Only the USB method (direct to MD) will provide this speeded up method.

Optical is used for clarity. Much in the same way CDs store far better quality audio than casset, and DVD than VHS.

It prevents hiss, crackle, buzz and feedback on the line, somthing that is inherant in electro conductive cabling.
Community Veteran

PC -> Minidisc

I believe MiniDiscs use Atrac audio.

Thomas
Community Veteran

PC -> Minidisc

I know speed wise it will only be at standard recording speeds but thats not really a major problem for me at the moment, I do want them in as near to possible good qaulity as I can.

So just to confirm based on my needs would it be something along the lines of that sound card I need?

Chris
N/A

PC -> Minidisc

Simply, yes.

Provided you have a optical out port, a high data transfer speed to the optical transmitter (if it can't supply enough bandwidth, quality would have to be reduced. PCI has more then enough, dunno about USB), it will be fine.

Optical output will provide a 100% replica on the other end of the fiber, to that what was transmitted, unlike RCA, which has thoese hisses and feedback.

The conversion from electro digital to optical digital, may see some loss, down to around 0.1% MAX, of that produced by quality RCA leads. This will be down to your CPU, the quality of the MP3, it's bitrate and the library used to decode it.

I would imagine the PCM conversion in the soundcard to produce some loss too, but you could probably include that in the above loss (IE, no more than 0.1% MAX).

So upto 1000 transfers before you lose the same amount of that tranfering it once using RCA leads.

That is pretty much guess work on my part, but I have seen what optical can do as part of a chirldrens dance, video and audio skills center. They transfer the audio via optical for everything, and from what I am told, the computer can't detect any differances between the original, and a final copy of a audio track.

They can transfer the audio between units upto 150 times before a final copy.

They also use firewire for there video editing, which they recon is crap, and can quickly see major losses. If used in datatransfer mode, it is fine, but realtime streams lose a lot.
Community Veteran

PC -> Minidisc

Thanks for your help, Philip as always your encylopeda like knowledge has the answers. Smiley
I think I'll have a bit of a search round for hardware and see if I can find something that meets my requirements. If / when i get something I'll make a followup.

Chris