cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC freezes following ADSL conection - Help!

N/A

I've just connected up to ADSL using the Netgear DG834 router and everything seemed to be going fine until yesterday my computer completely locked up several times requiring much use of the reset button.

It now seems OK but this is a repeat of a major problem I had about 18 months ago when I signed up for broadband and in the end I lost all data, had to re-format the HD, abandon broadband and move from Windows 98 to windows XP. :shock:

Can anyone suggest where the problem might lie? I've changed the operating system (W98 to XP) and I've changed the hardware (Alcatel modem to Netgear router) so is it something to do with my PC?
4 REPLIES
N/A

It is unlikely to be DSL that is causing your problem.
You may have a virus or Malware/spyware that you have downloaded, but apart from that, the DSL issue is a coincidence.
If the problem is reoccuring, I would suggest it is a hardware problem.
It could be PSU, overheating CPU, Memory crash or voltage control probs on the motherboard among many others.
I had a hard disk that would intermittantly reset and cause the entire PC to reboot. With 3 IDE disks and 2 SCSI disks, it took some time to sort out which one it was.
Highlighted
N/A

Most common cause of this in my experience is simply a badly seated pci or agp card.
N/A

Or, thinking about it, a badly fitting LAN card.
N/A

Thanks folks, I will check all the cards and make sure they're seated properly. It does sound like the most probable cause. Smiley