cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC dies immediately when plugging in USB devices. PSU prob?

N/A

Hi there. I've had this pc for about a year, it has a 350w PSU on which I'm running the following spec: www.soulhunter.co.uk/summary.txt

When I plug in my iPod my PC immediately dies. I assume this is the PSU fusing but I could very well be wrong. The PC's temperature's fine and everything, and I've not changed the PC in any way, this problem seems to just have appeared. I notice a crackling sound coming from all of the USB ports sometimes, so I think its a power / USB problem.

I have tried using my front ports and the back ones - same result. The PC lives for a few seconds, then there's a clicking noise like someone's clicked off a switch (maybe the fuse of the PSU?) and the computer just dies.

I have tried my USB Wireless LAN device and it works fine, so I am assuming an iPod may just be using too much power, and I'll have to upgrade my PSU.

What confuses me is that this problem just seems to have appeared! A few days ago I could plug in the iPod just fine, and there were no crackling noises or anything. I can't understand why this could have happened.

Might I add that there's no burning smell, just a small crackly noise coming from the USB ports, sometimes even when only one device (modem) is plugged into 1 of the 6 available ports.

Im sorry but I dont know the exact specs of my current PSU but I think its 400w. Possibly 350 but I doubt it. If any of you are going to suggest a new PSU, could you please make an educated guess at what kind I should be going for?

Much appreciated, cheers.
8 REPLIES
N/A

have you tried just pluggin the ipod in with no other USB devices? I very much dout its a power issue unless somehow you have broken // shorted the iPods cable?

**plug for using a creative zen not an iPod **
N/A

I have just tried the alternative cable (the Firewire one) and it is working flawlessely. Could a broken USB cable be the problem? Thanks.
N/A

could be that, or dust etc inside the USB port casuing it to short out etc
Denzil
Grafter

If other USB devices work in the ports then it is probably a duff cable. A short between the power pins would have the effect you desribe.
N/A

I keep hearing a small, high pitched buzzing noise coming from the USB port with my modem in it. I assume it makes the noise only when data is being transferred but surely this is not normal?

Since the iPod works in Firewire I think we can rule out a PSU problem, so perhaps it's something to do with the USB ports themselves, however, why would this problem just suddenly appear?

Thanks for the help everyone!
N/A

Check that no other ports have been mangled, bent pins can sometimes cause a short, and when u plug in higher power devices the PSU cuts out. iPods charge using the USB port and can draw a bit of power.

Another option could be the USB Chipset. Via Chipsets are sometimes known to have USB conflicts. There are also reported power problems too, ADSL modems draw high current, plugging in the iPod at the same time could be tripping it over the edge. Try taking the modem out and trying the iPod.

If this proves to be the cause, it may be worth investing in a seperate USB2 Card with its own ports. I would be reluctant at using a hub as ADSL modems and devices like iPods *can* have problems on a hub.
Community Veteran

This does sound like a bad/broken USB cable if other USB devices work in the USB slots. You may have stretched it, trod on it, yanked out the plug using the cable. A short in the cable can cause the mobo/PSU to shutdown

Do you have a mate who also has an ipod and try their cable?
N/A

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent replies. Today I replaced the PSU with a new one and it's working smoothly with the iPod, and no more buzzing. Must have been a bad PSU! But thanks for the help; I really do appreciate it.